I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

So.....The last progress report was the tub about to go to get blasted and primed. This was late March. After Easter and illness, we're now in late April, so has anything happened? Yes.

With the tub out of the workshop, I began stripping the windscreen. There were a number of areas rusted through, but I had a donor screen, and hoped to make one good one from the two rusted examples. This is the original outer screen frame fitted when the Jeep was purchased, and the donor inner frame. These are the two best parts, but need work.

0513.jpg

0512.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The skin on the screen frame was rusted through in a number of places, and so needed to be removed and replaced. The two outer frames can be seen in this picture. The paint and rust was stripped away to check the condition of the tubes. The main frame was sound, but the tubes supporting the skin were badly rusted.

0514.jpg

0515.jpg

Here's the inner screen frame; the original one which is in reasonable condition, and the remains of the donor frame, parts of which I plan to use to repair the worst parts of the original. The glass was already cracked, so I didn't try and salvage that. I did find something interesting when stripping both screens, and that was the reinforcing corner pieces in the inner frame.

0523.jpg

0522.jpg

On my original 1943 screen, the corner reinforcing pieces were solid metal, though both had been damaged by the holes drilled for the bolts that hold the frame together. One had snapped and the other drilled so close to the corner that it had broken through the edge. These would be repaired to use in the rebuild.

0526.jpg

The other corner pieces are I'm guessing late war, made from flat sheet to save metal. These were quite rusted and mangled.

0525.jpg

These brackets on the original frame had rusted away in places, so these were cut from the donor one, and will be brazed back on later. It took quite a while with the grinder, slowly removing the remains of the frame from the bracket.

0530.jpg

All four screen arms were in good condition, so the spares will be sold.

0529.jpg

On March 28th, the tub was done, so I made the one and a half mile trip to collect it with the trailer. Fortunately it was a nice dry day for getting both Jeeps out so I could get the tub back in the workshop. When I took it there, I got rained and hailed on by the time I got there.

0531.jpg

0532.jpg

After all the illnesses, I finally got back to the Jeep last week, skimming filler over the various side and floor panel repairs. It's all solid metal in there, but needed tidying up to make it presentable. I started out sanding by hand, which was hard work, then I remembered a mini 12 volt orbital sander. It has a foot print of about 2.5 by 1.75 inches, which meant it could fit into small corners. Sanding is now much easier, but I'm getting vibration white finger.

Rear panel.

0533.jpg

Passenger side floor, underside.

0534.jpg

After a busy day yesterday working on the Dodge, today was spent on the Ford. It was time for the trial fit of the tub. The day started with moving the truck, aircraft trailer and my other Jeep. This was so that the Ford chassis could be rolled out of the garage, making room to bring the tub through to position it under the engine hoist. The big driveway comes in handy.

0551.jpg

0552.jpg

The tub was wheeled through from the workshop on a wooden trolley I made some months ago for shifting the tub and engine around. It was then tipped onto its floor on some wooden blocks, before some ropes were rigged for the lift. It is seen below lifted on the engine hoist ready for the chassis to be rolled under. 'Skint George' from HMVF was my helper for the day.

0543.jpg

The day was originally forecast to be sunny, but around lunchtime, there was a heavy shower which stopped play for a while.

0544.jpg

After a bit of jiggling, pushing and shoving, the tub fitted, but the tub bolts holes didn't align with those in the chassis. Despite both the tub and chassis being original, the floor inside the shocker cover interfered with the rear shock mount. This prevented the tub from sitting in the correct position, so the floor was ground out with the angle grinder, flush with the back of the shocker cover. This allowed the tub to move forwards to its correct position. It was probably only 1/4 inch, but it made a difference.

0545.jpg

0546.jpg

The Jeep looking like a Jeep again! Some of the bolt holes needed opening up with a file to allow them to align properly, but the pictures below show the tub on and all fourteen bolts fitted. It was on and off a few times while hole positions were marked, and enlarged, but it was good to see the tub sitting square on the chassis and fastened together.

0547.jpg

0548.jpg

Thanks.

I decided to undercoat the tub in the gloss grey from the engine, to provide better waterproofing, since matt paint can be porous. I should have done the chassis, but it didn't occur to me at the time, but at least that is thicker metal. I used the airbrush first, to spray into all the seams and difficult to reach corners where the larger spray gun wouldn't fit.

0553.jpg

0554.jpg