I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

The bumperettes were left to harden overnight and were then fitted to the Jeep again.

0707.jpg

Next came the hood stencilling. After a little messing around on the computer to get the sizes and spacings right, the stencils were cut and this morning were taped to the hood for painting.

0708.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The stencilling as seen here, just has one coat of paint, but will require at least one more. Next will come the oddly styled and placed star ( as seen in the wartime picture ). It appears to be one of the stars near the screen, across the hinge line, but with the addition of a solid circle around it. The hood number is the field applied style, so I'm guessing the star was done at the same time.

0711.jpg

0712.jpg

Time to sort the hood star. The first attempt was a paper template for a 12 inch star. Seeing the rearward location of the star in the original picture, I opted for the small star size.

0713.jpg

A shallow angle photo was compared to the wartime picture, and I realised that it was too small.

0714.jpg

Next came segments of a larger circle to suit a 15 inch star. It was difficult to judge the star size from the original picture, and trial and error was the only way. This still didn't look right, so a circle to encompass a 20 inch star was cut ( 28 inch total diameter ). This half circle template can just be seen on top of the original template in the second picture.

0715.jpg

0716.jpg

Once I was happy with the sizes and positions, the star was marked onto the hood in pencil. I didn't have any card large enough to make a complete star stencil, so I sprayed the edges with a small mask, to give a slight soft edge. The star was done the same way and once dry, the whole area was masked properly with tape to fill in the rest of the circle area and star.

0717.jpg

The circle edges complete and dry. Once dry, the overspray dust seen in the middle and around the edge of the circle was brushed off.

0718.jpg

The star edges were sprayed next, and then that was left to dry. The circle was masked ready for spraying the rest of the white circle, and the first coat sprayed.

0719.jpg

There was one small spot where the white paint blistered, so once dry, it was rubbed down and painted again. It blistered again, not on the exposed green, but where the edge of the original coat of white was. It was rubbed down once more, repainted and blistered again! Once dry again, it was rubbed down, the area getting larger and larger each time! This time, as soon as the paint was sprayed from the can, I blasted it with a hair-dryer to flash off the solvent. After a few minutes, this process was repeated, and again until a good coverage was achieved. The whole circle was given one more coat to even out the density and it was then unmasked.

0720.jpg

hi steve looking at your photos your garage is very much like mine and ive noticed carpet on the wall down the side of the jeep is this to protect the jeep from the wall. or the wall from the black soot on start up of the jeep mine does this and im thinking of a way to protect the house wall from the oily soot on start up in case i ever sell the house ! :blush:

The carpet is to stop the Jeep paint being scratched. There's just enough room to squeeze two Jeeps with about 10 inches walk space between them. When it's one Jeep and the aircraft trailer, there's about 1 inch between the wall and the Jeep, and 1 inch between the Jeep and trailer.

Hair dryer to dry the paint and heat up the spray can, and bog roll to wipe the paint brush after rinsing in thinners.

Once the glass was collected, it was fitted into the frame. I used silicone rather than the original type rubber seals as the water gets between the seal and the frame and rots it out. This was evident from the repairs I had to carry out to the frame. Spacers were used to hold the glass firm up against the front of the frame while the silicone cured.

0723.jpg

0724.jpg

Thanks guys. Every so often, I go back to the start and skim through the pictures to see how far I've come. With all the messy stuff done, I'm now on another major project; a DEEP clean of my workshop, top to bottom, roof, cupboards inside and out, contents, benches and floor. I've been on a week so far and have just about made it around the workshop down to bench level!

Next will come the oddly styled and placed star ( as seen in the wartime picture ). It appears to be one of the stars near the screen, across the hinge line, but with the addition of a solid circle around it.

The story I have heard about the odd placement of the star is if the windscreen is folded down, most of the star is still visible from above, which seems logical

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this as I've been busy with other projects. I did go for an engine start back in October, but a poorly battery ( an old spare ) and problems getting fuel prevented a run. The pump didn't have a primer which was causing all sorts of problems getting fuel to the carb along ten feet of empty lines. Since then, I've fitted a replacement pump with primer. I just bought a new battery yesterday, which is now on trickle charge to top it up before fitting.

I also had the Jeep outside for a few pictures recently.

0730.jpg

0731.jpg

0732.jpg

0733.jpg