I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

.....did all army airforce jeeps have painted rear bumperetts & white tips in the front......

No sure about all. The one I first copied did have. You will also note many USAAF Jeeps having the rear bumperettes 'inverted' compared to normal Jeeps. The only reason I've heard for this is it made the bumpers a lower 'step' to climb on when in full flight gear.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

There's a small strip of floor to the side of the tank well. This was formed using two 'L' sections, one welded to the tub side, the second onto the first, giving me a lip to attach the main panel of the tank well too.

0356.jpg

The new well welded up and just needing dressing with the grinder.

0357.jpg

This morning I went to see a friend who had found some split rims for me, plus a number of other small parts. The wheels had been blasted and painted, then wrapped up, but I think this was some time ago and there was a number of spots of surface rust here and there. I spent the rest of the day wire brushing the rush spots and priming the first side of the wheels. Three of the rims have 'Run Flat' inserts.

0358.jpg

0359.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since an update as I've been flooring out and adding extra insulation to both lofts due to a junk/baby stuf/space deficiency issue. However, things have been moving on, and the wheels were fitted a while back, followed by the brake cylinder, heat shield etc. The brake system was primed, bled and now works without leaks.

0361.jpg

0362.jpg

The chassis is pretty much done now, just waiting for the engine/transmission to be completed and dropped in.

0363.jpg

The transmission was painted recently and trial fitted to the bell housing to check I had all the bolts to connect the various casings. I'm still waiting for the transfer case to return from rebuild.

0367.jpg

The engine has been rebuilt back to a chain driven camshaft. At some point in its life, it was rebuilt with timing gears, but without all the associated parts so there was no oil feed or method of preventing camshaft float. The cylinders have all been sleeved back to standard size. They were at plus 40 thou. New bearings, seals, valves and springs, correct camshaft and the head and block skimmed.

0365.jpg

The starter motor did have a short, but has since been re-wound and is working again.

0370.jpg

The engine was collected last Saturday. Picking it up was easy, though getting it into my garage involved lots of moving of cars, my aircraft trailer and my other Jeep so that the car with the engine in the back, could be reversed far enough into the garage that my beam/hoist could lift it.

0369.jpg

Most of this week has been taken up with looking after a very poorly daughter, but I did find time to get the engine painted.

0371.jpg

The chassis is pretty much done now, just waiting for the engine/transmission to be completed and dropped in.

The transmission was painted recently and trial fitted to the bell housing to check I had all the bolts to connect the various casings. I'm still waiting for the transfer case to return from rebuild.

0367.jpg

I see you have an early and rare "right hand filler" gearbox, only fitted to early Jeeps, the filler was moved to the left hand side for easier access

Edited by Nick Johns

• 3 weeks later...

The rebuilt transfer case arrived early December and was soon painted. The handbrake components were stripped from the other transfer case, cleaned, painted and fitted to the rebuilt case.

0374.jpg

The handbrake components were stipped from a second transfer case, cleaned, painted and fitted to the rebuilt case.

0375.jpg

The new spring rest.

0378.jpg

After setting the butterfly in the engine cold position, it was tack glued with superglue to hold its position on the shaft. The shaft was then rotated to allow a small weld to fix the butterfly in position. The gas torch was used to test the expansion of the coil spring which operates the valve.

0382.jpg

Something that has been bothering me for some time was fixed over the weekend. One universal joint was stuck in the casting and wouldn't come out. At some point in its life, someone has either changed, or tried to change the U/J. In the process, both ends of the casting had been battered, preventing the bearing caps from being removed. This in turn prevented the crucifix part of the U/J from being removed.

I tried hammering the caps out with a large punch, but all I could manage was to get the U/J to move from side to side until the caps jammed almost flush with the casting, but the burrs prevented complete removal. This first picture shows the casting after disassembly, but the battered nature of the ends of the casting can be seen.

0394.jpg

After much frustration, trying to grind the burred parts of the casting round again, I gave up and took the large angle grinder to the crucifix to get it out. With that out, the bearing caps could be tapped out towards the centre, rather than out over.

0395.jpg

Another little find was during the cleaning up of the clutch torque tube components. The small metal disc that holds the felt seal against the pivot was cleaned up to reveal another 'f' mark. I wonder how may production hours went into stamping 'f' marks across the whole production period of the GPW? Were they stamped by hand or was the 'f' part of the tool that cut/shaped the parts? From the look of many of them, they aren't consistant, so I'm guessing hand stamped.

0385.jpg

Friday also saw the fuel pump stripped, cleaned, checked and fitted onto the engine.

0386.jpg

On Sunday morning, it was time to fit the engine. After lowering the engine to the floor, the bellhousing/transmission assembly was bolted to the back of the engine. After that, the transfer case was then bolted to the back of the transmission. An extra rope was then slung around the transmission to help support it during the lift.

0387.jpg

The engine was lifted as high as the hoist would go to allow the chassis to be wheeled forwards beneath it. The engine was then slowly lowered into place, and with a bit of jiggling, all the bolts lined up and fastened.

0388.jpg