I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

It Runs!!

However, this was just a very brief run, around 30 to 40 seconds. Maurice ( the engine rebuilder ) want's to check it over and be here for a proper run since he rebuilt it. Since I had been having trouble getting fuel along the pipes, I've just been tinkering on my own to get it to fire, rather than Maurice making the 60 mile round trip each time I try. Now it has run, Maurice can advise where to go from here, as I know he wants to make sure the oil is getting everywhere it is meant to go.

Another three engine runs today. First two were quite close together. First was run up to stable running temperature. A bit above idle, running from the tank, rather than a funnel feed as it had on Friday. Temp 160F, oil pressure 30 PSI.

After the run, there was a little oil leaking from the top bolt of the oil filter. I took the top off and it was full, and the oil was hot and fluid, so it was obviously circulating through there. The fan sprayed it around a bit, but I didn't see any significant signs of oil leaks elsewhere. RPM hasn't been above about 1300, measured at the fan with an optical tacho.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Thanks guys. Every so often, I go back to the start and skim through the pictures to see how far I've come. With all the messy stuff done, I'm now on another major project; a DEEP clean of my workshop, top to bottom, roof, cupboards inside and out, contents, benches and floor. I've been on a week so far and have just about made it around the workshop down to bench level!

( Good job the wife dont get you to do the housework. ) Enjoy your thread, once again very enjoyable and a nice project and allways nice to view something different, expect there are a few you have upset ie TWO JEEPS and neither one is airborne have you no religion ? wishing you and the family a great new year as i and my wife wish all members of HMVF were ever you might be at this time and that includes all of our Military personel.:nut:

Cheers guys. I'm going to re-set the valve gaps before I go for another run, so may have to get the other Jeep out of the garage and shut the door with the heater on to do the job. Cold fingers and spanners aren't a good mix!

There's far too many 101st and 82nd AB Jeeps on the planet. Perhaps we need to patrol the shows with a tin of olive drab and a paint roller! I don't understand why more people can't be original with markings. It's not like there's a shortage of stories and history out there to choose from.

Cheers guys. I'm going to re-set the valve gaps before I go for another run, so may have to get the other Jeep out of the garage and shut the door with the heater on to do the job. Cold fingers and spanners aren't a good mix!

There's far too many 101st and 82nd AB Jeeps on the planet. Perhaps we need to patrol the shows with a tin of olive drab and a paint roller! I don't understand why more people can't be original with markings. It's not like there's a shortage of stories and history out there to choose from.

Shame on you Steve, I'm sure we all know the 101 AB won the war...........well at least Damian Lewis did. lol.

After resetting the valve clearances, it was time to see if the Jeep would move under its own power. First time for probably decades! Initially I couldn't get into second gear, but after taking the top of the box off and making some adjustments to the lever gate, all was well. I did a few short trips up and down the drive, checking each gear and also the brakes, before it was put to bed again.

• 1 month later...

The paperwork for the Jeep is now with the DVLA, so I'm hoping I'll get the registration documents soon. With that in mind, there's a few little jobs to finish.

Because the 12v battery is considerably different in size to a wartime 6v battery, I didn't see much point in buying a new battery clamp, and hacking it up. Instead I had an old Hotchkiss one that I've had to both lengthen, widen and move the bolt loops to fit the new battery. New 'J' bolts were also made to suit the battery height. After all the welding, grinding, bending and thread cutting, they were all given a coat of black Hammerite, which is a little more acid resistant than the normal paint.

0738.jpg

0739.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

At the third attempt, I have finally got the logbook and new registration for the Jeep. The package with the V55 form from the DVLA could have been more specific in the information they wanted, and their helpline gave the wrong information, ( fortunately Customs and Excise do know! ). Each rejection letter took about a week to turn around, from me sending in the information, so I'm sure it could have been all completed in a week had they made it clear exactly what they wanted. A phone call from them could have helped matters.

Still, the system worked eventually, and the registration number is just in time as I have to renew the insurance on the other Jeep and Dodge shortly. It is currently insured on the chassis number, and I was hoping I'd have the reg in time so I didn't have an additional admin charge to add the registration number onto the policy later.

I got all my other papers back from the DVLA today, well, almost all. They decided not to return my original Customs & Excise 386 import duty paid form, and after three attempts to speak to the right department, I was told they probably have shredded it.

WHY send all my other original documents back, but loose/shred/not return one other original document that was with them?

I'm fuming, and a formal letter of complaint will be on the way. I was going to say what a useless bunch of pen pushers, but they can't even do that right. :mad:

The only bright side to the day was I got the tax disc and registration plates.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Jeep out again this afternoon, refitted the fender that had been removed to reset the valves. I gave it another run, first time since mid January, and got some insurance pictures as my renewal came through the post yesterday. That is due mid month, so hopefully the GPW will be on the road the latter half of this month.

There's still a few small odds and ends to do. Glove box door and data plates to fit, some split pins in the steering linkage, steering wheel and side stars to paint, handbrake clearance to check, brackets for the registration plates and give it a final walk around and fluid level inspection.

0740.jpg

0741.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The insurance started today. So after a fluid level check all round, and the back end up on ramps with the wheels hanging free so I could run the wheels and bed in the handbrake a bit ( contracting band type ), I gingerly ran the GPW up and down the street a couple of times. A few more checks and tweaks and back out around the housing estate. There's now 3 miles on the clock!

0749.jpg

Happy and very relieved. This is the first drive in who knows how many years, since the Jeep died on a Texas farm and lay there hoping for rescue.

So the GPW now has a name; 'Hope'.

I had another short run out today, a 3 mile round trip to see George. He helped me with manual labour lifting the tub on and off for trial fitting, and a few other odds and ends during the restoration. I was wondering if I was going to get it back from him!

Since the Jeep is marked up as the 100th Photo Lab vehicle, I thought it would be nice to have a little display along the same theme. Fortunately, I already had some equipment that would work, and I've been getting some other odds and ends together.

Understanding photographs was a key factor, both before and after a raid. Before a target could be bombed, the type of structure had to be fully understood as this would dictate the correct fusing of the bombs to ensure the targets destruction.

By taking two photographs of the same area, from slightly different angles, and then viewing them through a stereoscope, a three dimensional image can be seen. This helped to understand the construction of the target far better than a 2D photograph. In the same way, damage to a target could be better analysed using a 3D image.

The Fairchild F-71 Stereoscope was purchased a few years ago, but is a very suitable display item to go along with the new Jeep.

stereoscope1.jpg

stereoscope2.jpg

After much searching on the internet, I finally found a stereoscopic target photograph on Ebay. There are plenty of target photos on line, but stereoscopic pictures seem hard to come by. The original picture I bought was only printed at about 2.5 inches square, but after scanning and cleaning up, it was enlarged to give a decent size image to use under the stereoscope.

stereoscope4.jpg

Other items I'm looking for are some photographic developing trays, preferably enamelled metal, in and around which I will display a number of other target photos which I've had printed in 10x8 format. I've also got some bulldog clips so I can hang some pictures up 'Drying'.

I had another short run out today, a 3 mile round trip to see George. He helped me with manual labour lifting the tub on and off for trial fitting, and a few other odds and ends during the restoration. I was wondering if I was going to get it back from him!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90156[/ATTACH]

Very nice jeep and display.A great display of history to share with others...

Thanks. It has been a very rewarding experience doing the strip down and rebuild, and I've learned a great deal from doing it. Not sure I'll rush into doing another just yet, but my other Jeep needs a little bodywork attention, so I feel more confident tackling that now. It has been really useful having another Jeep to look at while rebuilding the Ford. There are some things that manuals just don't show!

Thanks. It has been a very rewarding experience doing the strip down and rebuild, and I've learned a great deal from doing it. Not sure I'll rush into doing another just yet, but my other Jeep needs a little bodywork attention, so I feel more confident tackling that now. It has been really useful having another Jeep to look at while rebuilding the Ford. There are some things that manuals just don't show!

Or things in the manual which seems unneccesary.

Like when we removed a Jeeps gearbox the manual said to remove the waterhoses, sounded daft to us.

So we found out the engine tilts when removing the gearbox putting stress on the waterhoses.

Guess we should have followed the manual. :blush:

Still no problems luckily.

• 4 weeks later...

I took the Ford out for another drive yesterday. I went to visit two companies who helped me with materials or services during the rebuild. The first business, a welding supplies store, had moved; so I set off for the second. This was the company who blasted and primed the chassis, tub, hood, fenders and grill.

At the time, they told me to let them know when it was done, and yesterday was the first opportunity to visit them with the completed Jeep. I spent about ten minutes chatting before heading back home again. The rear brake shoes were binding a little, so were adjusted again, and the hand brake band tightened a little. Other than that, all was well on the seven mile drive, the longest trip so far.

A D-Day drive today. 17 miles round trip to the local model shop and B&Q, then a pause in the B&Q car park for a D-Day picture. Longest and fastest trip yet. 15 miles round trip to the model shop, up to 40mph followed by the short trip to B&Q. Reset all brake shoes and free play on master cylinder. Seems ok now.

dday.jpg