I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

The front of the tub was missing a mounting bracket, so this was replaced. Since I didn't have a method/tools to apply a hot rivet, I used a bolt with the head rounded off. This was tightened as far as I could, then heated with the gas torch until it expanded. It was then tightened further until it wouldn't turn any further, and the hex nut partially melted and tapped into a rivet shape with a small hammer.

0485.jpg

0486.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The other fender was next, replacing one of the broken mounting tags. A piece was welded in place, and trimmed afterwards.

0489.jpg

The hat channel was another rotten part, but just the lower section. I didn't have any spare hat channel the same size, but I had a cunning plan.

0490.jpg

Here's the finished repair to the channel.

0498.jpg

Some of the reinforcing corner pieces needed replacing as water had been trapped between the layers of metal, rotting the skin and reinforcing piece. There were also some holes in the curved down edge to the fender. These were filled with more brazing rod.

0502.jpg

On Sunday morning, it was time for a big shuffle around on the drive. The tub was ready to get blasted and primed, so I needed to get it out of the workshop and onto the trailer. The first job was to unbolt the B-17's transport box from the top of the trailer, lower its legs to support it, and roll the flatbed trailer out from under it. With the box and flatbed at the bottom of the drive, the next stage was to roll out the GPW chassis, the first time it's been out doors since it was stripped down last year. An opportunity for some photos!

0505.jpg

0506.jpg

I'm please I have a double length, double width drive!

0509.jpg

The front of the tub was chocked up on wooden blocks until it was a little over the height of the trailer. The trolley was then placed on the flatbed, and the front of the tub lifted onto the trolley. I then simply lifted the back of the tub and wheeled it forwards onto the flatbed. I did wonder whether I'd need help with the loading it, but with a bit of thinking and planning, I managed without having to get Lynne's hands dirty!

First thing this morning, it was towed a mile and a half to the blasting company! I should get it back next week. They hope to get it sprayed by Thursday, so it can harden off over Easter weekend.

0510.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I haven't touched it since the tub came back. I've been struck down with the plague that has been spreading across the country. I'm on antibiotics and steroid inhalers, but Lynne ended up in hospital with pneumonia, and my daughter got drugs for an ear infection! So I'll be painting a big black cross on the front door at the weekend to warn people away for a while.

It's been a nightmare. We've never ALL been this ill at the same time. I was in hospital yesterday for a check prior to getting a wisdom tooth out. In the usual medical pre-amble check, they found my blood pressure was dangerously high, despite being on the max dose of blood pressure meds for the last year, so I've got another appointment early next week for more blood tests. It's down a bit today, but it should be much lower considering the meds I'm on! I'm wondering if it's the cocktail of other meds that's pushing it up.

Anyway, I'll get back to the rebuild soon, and hopefully this Sunday will be out in 'Jessie' for the Yorkshire MVT crank up to York Castle. I'd rather be coughing my guts up out having fun than sitting around the house!

It's been a nightmare. We've never ALL been this ill at the same time. I was in hospital yesterday for a check prior to getting a wisdom tooth out. In the usual medical pre-amble check, they found my blood pressure was dangerously high, despite being on the max dose of blood pressure meds for the last year, so I've got another appointment early next week for more blood tests. It's down a bit today, but it should be much lower considering the meds I'm on! I'm wondering if it's the cocktail of other meds that's pushing it up.

Anyway, I'll get back to the rebuild soon, and hopefully this Sunday will be out in 'Jessie' for the Yorkshire MVT crank up to York Castle. I'd rather be coughing my guts up out having fun than sitting around the house!

Yep and spreading the dreaded virus to all :cry::cry:

See you there Jessie :)

Might not be the place for medical advice, but as the day job is cabbying about in a big yellow NHS taxi :D. If you've got lurgee that can proper mess up your blood pressure medications effectiveness. We see it a lot. Regardless of remote medical diagnosis, get yerself and family better bonny lad, we need to see your Jeep finished !