IWS L1A1 starlight

paul connor

ok, is the UK the same as the US? i know there is a small length difference?

Does anyone have plans or prints? also, would the BOTH fit the SLR rifle mount?

I can get the US for £140 working, but alas the Uk not at all??

Do i mock one up? or but the US? AN/PVS-2

Can anyone tell me!

The US scope for M16 attaches offset.

The uk L1A1 attaches on the top

The UK is longer, and the zeroing is on the inside

US on the out...

Can the US be attached to the UK L1A1 SLr mount?

As i can get one quite cheap....

Please help

I don't know whether it's ever been done, but so long as the sight is zeroed, I don't see why it couldn't. That would mean that your mod could be argued as an unauthorised but not unrealistic field modification just like sticking a matchstick in the sear of an SLR to get full automatic.

With iron sights it would involve firing a grouping, deriving the Mean Point of Impact, adjusting and repeating until the group MPI coincides with the aiming point (hopefully you can fire a tight-enough group consistently enough to achieve this.

As cavalry (and as Regimental and Corps shooting team) I never used anything other than iron sights and Mark 1 Eyeball with small arms, but have a vision of boresighting the weapon like you would a 76mm.

It isn't practical to fire five rounds of, say 76mm PRAC, derive a MPI, adjust sight and repeat until correct so this is what happened (with Scorpion).

Insert a boresight into the barrel (there was a boresight for the 76 and another for the coax, but we only ever boresighted the 76).

Have the gunner lay the gun onto an aiming mark at 600m. This tells the gunner where the sight is pointing. The commander looks through an eyepiece on the boresight which tells him where the gun is pointing and gives corrections to the gunner, who adjusts the sight. The gunner breaks the lay (aims off) and repeats the procedure until commander is happy that gun and sight coincide at 600m.

The commander then rotates the boresight through 180 degrees about the gun's axis and repeats the whole process. This eliminates any theoretical distorting in either the gun barrel or the boresight: in practice there ought to be none and the gun is now pointing where the sight is.

When this has been done, the gunner breaks the lay and this time the commander steers the gunner onto the aiming mark remotely like The Golden Shot ("Traverse very steady left ... ON. Elevate ... ON" and so on). When this is finished, the gunner ought to find the sight is pointing where the gun (and boresight) is.

Boresighting complete, the weapon is ready to fire.

There is a backup method. Boresights were on an issue scale of one per troop, carried by the Troop Sergeant (to whom it was issued). What happens if you are on ops and not with the Troop Sergeant? (Maybe his vehicle has been destroyed, the boresight is U/S or the troop has been split into sections.)

If you look at the muzzle of a 76 (or a 120) you'll find four engraved lines in the end of the muzzle arranged in a cross. Secure two threads tightly across the muzzle and where they cross is the centre of the barrel along the axis. By removing the firing pin and looking down the barrel, it is possible to boresight the gun as before, though not as accurately as using a boresight. A 76 is what, maybe maybe something in excess of 6 feet long from breech to muzzle and I reckon it would be hard work focusing on both the thread 6 feet away and the aiming point 600m away. I shudder to imagine doing that with a 120.

Maybe it's possible to boresight the weapon you describe? Maybe it's easier to fire groups.

If you are zeroing, always remember to fire five warmers into the bank to bring the barrel up to temperature before starting, otherwise the change in barrel temperature will adversely affect the zeroing process by changing the flight path of rounds going downrange.

It occurs to me that these days somebody could build a boresight with a laser light and adjust the sight to the laser beam. Not unreasonable since they make laser target indicators like that anyway.

Sadly even distant memories are now fading but... I seem to recall in the very late seventies a sight was around that mounted to the top slide cover of the SLR that was an optical sight with a single red dot in the centre.

Again - memory is naff but I think it was classed as an unauthorised modification that had unofficial sanction.

Procedure was to buy the sight then accquire and fit the appropriate top slide (crossing the armourers palm with silver helped with that bit) then zero the sight at 300 metres. After that where ever the red spot was is where the round went. Worked at night too. But that as far as memory can go now. :cry: :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Paul I found this in a 1972 CREME SITREP

"Starlight/IWS. Eyepieces for both US and UK versions are now not available until 1973. UK eyepieces can be used on US sights by the use of an adapter ring devised by 9 MAG, of which 120 have been made. The position is serious as eyepieces are normally replaced at about 30 per month. The possibility of local manufacture in N Ireland is being investigated, but if no eyepieces are forthcoming the instruments must be returned to base as BLR."

"Three-holed disc produced by 9 MAG allows daylight zeroing. Tels Branch considering using such a disc on permanent basis."

I remember using one of these as part of a Night Shoot during my Skill At Arms Course in the early eighties not only was this fitted to the SLR but the Starlight scope had an IR Torch mounted on the Left to provide additional illumination, I think it was powered by 6 x AA Batteries and naturally fell to the left whilst trying to aim because of the weight.