CCKW - Radiator Expansion Tank Bottle ?

Vulture

so does that gasket you have then fit in the neck of the rad and also does the inner hole of that gasket fit over the bit of the rad cap which fits into the top of the rad !!!!

Lets have some more pics.

As far as I know that's the general idea but I've never seen one fitted.

so does that gasket you have then fit in the neck of the rad and also does the inner hole of that gasket fit over the bit of the rad cap which fits into the top of the rad !!!!

Cubed

I might just have enough time in the morning to try and find out (assuming its not throwing it down) before getting buried under work. I'll post pics if I do :-). Failing that it will have to wait to the weekend.:-(

I'm going to guess that A LOT of CCKWs are rolling around with low water levels because that gasket is missing. Mine didn't have one and it ran fine.. and to be honest I never looked for it because I never had a temp problem.

I would also guess that the infrequent operation saved it from any real damage. If it was a daily driver then the water would have boiled out completely and made it known that something was up with the cooling system.

Cubed

Had a look at this yesterday.

Here's rad with the old seal in place

2575075120099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's it with the seal out:

2142954880099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's the old and new seal side by side

2435532360099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

Although not immediately obvious the new one is fractionally larger than the old, and wouldn't fit to start with :(

2604644370099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

A 5 minute session with some sandpaper however, shrunk the diameter sufficiently to allow me to install it properly :-D

2001569940099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

Hopefully that answers your questions ? Happy to take some more photos if it doesn't.

Kind regards

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
To add a little extra.

I may be a bit more of a perfectionist, but I would recommend that you take that gasket out, place a rag below the lip (to prevent chunks from blocking a rad. tube) and run a wire cupped wheel in the neck to get rid of that rust/scale.

The scale/buildup may still prevent the gasket from seating on the lip properly.

may work fine as is, though.

From talking to a few other people, I think the missing gasket is highly prevalent.

Gave the rad top a good clean around on the Monday, and then added the cleaning agent. Afterwards I thoroughly flushed the system through with fresh water, before running out of time to fit the Thermostat, so just refilled with a good mix of Anti-freeze.

The new cap seal has proven troublesome. As I've mentioned previously it was too large and I had to use sandpaper to reduce the diameter. This then created a problem, because on inspection the seal is made from paper/cardboard, and after being punched out must have a waterproof coating applied, a lot of which of course I rubbed off (sigh) :n00b:. So of course it sucks water up and distorts... I've removed it to dry it out, and see if its salvageable. If its not, I'll be refitting the old one.

Had a rough week health wise (with an unexpected overnight stay in the Bristol Royal Infirmary:sweat:), if I'm up to it I'll be fitting the Thermostat in the next day or so (weather permitting).

Kind regards to all

Ian

Most auto parts stores will have gasket material... it my be worthwhile to cut one out yourself that is the proper size.

Match the thickness (is say thicker is better than thinner) and use a compass and razor.

Other option would be to put the time in to research what other radiator caps fit the CCKW radiator and buy the gasket from that part. Then post here so we know :)

Get well soon.