What/if there is an oil.....

Jack

Hi folks.

Is there any oils/additives that you can use in your drive train to quieten all of your transmission down?

I know that this the nature of the beast and I know that we have spoken about it before and the advice was to keep up the maintenance schedule but is there anything that you guys use or is it just a case of 60+ year old technology

Jack,

Assume you are talking about the gearbox specifically? Providing you are using the correct oil, any out of the ordinary noises, could mean damaged gears / teeth, and worn bearings. If axles, again worn bearings and gears. There are additives you can add to oil, but they are mostly friction reducers, which will not cure the above faults.

Richard

Hi Jack

The best thing is change your oil often, as the sheering effect of the gears on the oil molecules tends to reduce its effectiveness over time.

There is a guy on e-bay selling molyslip for engines and other stuff for transmissions.

I haven't tried the transmission stuff but the engine molyslip is fantastic! and its only about a tenner a go.

If your transmission is noisy then that might be a symptom of wear in bearings, selectors or gears.

Best trade in the old motor and go for something modern and post war :-D

The banana has its devotee's also fine sawdust and grease, i've even heard of walnut etc shells

Another favorite is a small hole in the exhaust, enough to drown the axle/gearbox and the punter thinks a steal for a new exhaust...

Just remember when they finished with the horses, the traders moved to four wheels

Hardyferret ' my boy my word's my bond' :wink:

It's a bit off topic, but if you're selling a motorcycle with a dual seat, a quick squirt of "Mister Sheen" before taking the prospective purchaser for a pillion test ride does wonders for the perceived performance ! (I have tried this one) :evil: