HELP! Anyone had their address book hacked?

Mk3iain

A few times over the past few months I have had my e-mail contacts list hacked and used for spam! I have anti virus protection and a fire wall active (Norton 360) but it keeps on happening. I have contacted my provider (BT Internet) and run deep scans etc but nothing found. I have been advised that it could be when visiting a website that it happens.

It happened again today and other than my-mail account, E-Bay, Milweb and HMVF, I have not visited any other site!

Has this been happening to anyone else and does anyone know what I can do, it's really pigging me (and some others) off.

Those pesky spammers really need a jolly good ticking off (or something that really is not PC.....):banghead:

find it but try downloading super anti spyware,its free i have used it for 4 years and you will be amazed at what it finds on ur comp

You'll be amazed what they can leave on you computer, some free anti malware/spyware software are actually spy/malware programs themselves.

Bloody hell! unless you are an expert you are just prey to these maggots!

Some good advice here, many thanks guys!:tup::

Even a staff software engineer with a multinational IT megacorporation can fall prey. I did last month. An e-mail from "Facebook" told me my account had been hacked. Rather than follow the provided link (basic error number 1), I visited http://www.facebook.com which refused to log me in. Seems I had actually been hacked but Facebook knew I wasn't in Minsk and locked it down until I answered my secret question and changed my password.

Usual way into your address book is when a website invites you to tell all your friends: "Just tell us your password." How often have you seen this? How often have you blithely entered those details? Ever had friends contacting you right after to tell you about the spam you are shifting?

I have a stock e-mail to cut and paste.

I have followed the advice on the earlier link and so far its been OK (fingers crossed). The only thing that pops into mind that happened to give the maggots this opportunity is when using a vessels shared welfare computer to access my e-mail account. It had the anti-virus software disabled to enable the foreign nationals to use Skype etc and load dodgy software. Never again!

Iain

my computer got hacked through emails i believe they now have something called a key reader ! they knew any passwords ect i typed on my laptop .then my paypal got hacked taking £2500 out of my bank account did get it refunded eventually , but remember hackers are getting cleverer by the day ! :argh:

Firstly and most importantly, like AlienFTM said, don't click on every link you get in an email. Use your common sense, if it feels to good to be true it usually is and don't download programs you don't need. Especially when they tell you your computer is slow.

i think mine was attacked by a trojan if that makes sence i took my laptop to my brother in law and he totally wiped the computer and re installed everything again for me !

Drastic but it works well!

The big question is, how did you get that Trojan. Any thoughts?

no idea mate think it was through hotmail couldnt log in ! then my anti spyware ect was flashing red warning me my computer was being attacked and it did mention a trojan i didnt know what to do or press ! i am not that brilliant with computers , like you joris . ;)

No that does not help at all.

A Trojan is a program that has a hidden payload, just like the Trojan horse from ancient Greece (before the Euro). It could be a game of patience or something that should make your pc faster. But actually it's a keylogger that logs all your keystrokes and sends it off to some evil site.

You'll be amazed what they can leave on you computer, some free anti malware/spyware software are actually spy/malware programs themselves.

I had a problem with a program messing things up on my laptop, I found Revo Uninstaller and used the free version to get rid of it and clean out some other unused programs from my laptop and PC.

Although not specifically aimed at malware/spyware it seems to dig deep and do a really thorough job of finding all the left behind bits and pieces that windows uninstaller often misses, and you can see what it has found.

It has other cleanup tools that I find are easier to use than windows as well,

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html