Ministry of Supply Vehicle Sales

DWS

Hi All

In the course of my research into where and when the Home Office/Ministry of Defence vehicle sales took place in the 1960s and 1970s I have discovered that most took place at Ministry of Supply Ordnance and Supply Depot Ruddington, Notts. However, I have also discovered that some sales took place at Kinross, Carlisle, Colchester, Stirling and Winchester. I have acquired the relevant catalogues relating to my research (ex-Auxiliary Fire Service Matchless Motorcycles) from the Ruddinton and Kinross sales but can find no other information on the other locations?

Does anyone have any information at all on the sales at Carlisle, Colchester, Stirling and Winchester please?

Thanks, Dave

Edited by DWS

Dave I've got a sort of feeling that the Winchester auctions were conducted in an hotel. Clearly the vehicles weren't stored in the hotel carpark:)

Obviously they were located elsewhere. But even many items sold at Ruddington were not actually at Ruddington so these might give rise to confusion. Just taking a 1968 catalogue of vehicles sold at Ruddington were viewed & collected from:

OSDD Ruddington

Home Office Sub-Store Raydon Airfield

Booths Garage, Bicester

Northern Command OSD Barlow

RAF Hendon

CVD RAOC Ludgershall

COD Chilwell

MT Stores Sub-Depot Derby

West Riding CC Central Repair Depot

51 Command Hessay

CVD Ashchurch

Plant Repair Depot Wantage

MPB & W Stores Depot Culham

Hi Clive

Yes, I understand that the Carlisle sale was conducted in a Motel, the vehicles were viewed elsewhere a day or so earlier. I have managed to locate a copy of the relevant Kinross sale catalogue (sale took place at Kinross Motor Auctions Ltd.) and I'm now after copies of the relevant catalogues for the other sales.

Colating the history of MoS and subsequent WO- MoD etc sales would be a mammoth task, From my notes, sales were held at many other locations even whilst Ruddington sales were ongoing. re The non- Ruddington sales, the items were at a wide range of locations; I think these locations will include every HO store & sub Store, The MPBW Main Store/ Depot, and sub locations; and every Army, RAF and RN establishment. I saw catologes at the Scottish office of sales held in the north of England & Scotland which included items lying at every type of Ministry location one could imagine in those geographic areas.

Seeing Wantage & Culham in Clive's list -for those interested in RAF plant and vehicles, when the RAF Airfield Construction Branch and Air Ministry Works Dept were disbanded, a lasrge proportion of their assetts were tranferred to the newly formed MPBW and were allocated reg numbers in the ***FUV & FUW blocks, subsequently, and when the MPBW under the DoE/PSA title got rid of all the assetts they went via the MoD sales. The residue of the ACB & AMWD assetts went to the REs with most receiving **BT** army reg numbers.

Dave one port of call may be to contact the auctioneers that you can itentify from the catologes that have been posted on the threads.

TED

Edited by ted angus