Wiring colours on 1930s & 40s Morris-Commercial vehicles

I'm starting to think about building a wiring harness for the Morris CDSW but neither the handbook nor the workshop manual give any colour codes for the cables. Does this mean that they were all black or maybe another single colour? And how would they have been wrapped? Would they have had a woven cover or would they have been taped?

Hi I have 1940 bedford mwd,for my bedford i have a instruction book for bedford four wheeled w.d.type trucks mw ox oy dated january 1940, it shows a cable colours wiring diagram..One for the mw. and one for ox. oy.I hope this is of some help

sparky

Black PVC coated or rubber / neoprene with a cotton main/trace braid was used well into early 1960's (Buna / Neoprene synthetics from 1930's) , this was normally to BS-AU7 for colour/trace. The problem with cotton braid after 50 years is that there is often no colour left , often braid is cream crackered & you are left with just black rubber or PVC ! Probably PVC with line trace colour started about 1960 ?

British Standards Institution was around well before WW2 , a bit of research would probably prove BS-AU7 originated well prior to WW2 . If this is the case then I would presume a firm such as Morris would be working to this standard..

Black PVC coated or rubber / neoprene with a cotton main/trace braid was used well into early 1960's (Buna / Neoprene synthetics from 1930's) , this was normally to BS-AU7 for colour/trace. The problem with cotton braid after 50 years is that there is often no colour left , often braid is cream crackered & you are left with just black rubber or PVC ! Probably PVC with line trace colour started about 1960 ?

British Standards Institution was around well before WW2 , a bit of research would probably prove BS-AU7 originated well prior to WW2 . If this is the case then I would presume a firm such as Morris would be working to this standard..

I am still pretty sure that for all the stuff destined for the military at least it was black (but might have had a black trace in it....)

Thanks Paul, I think there is something there I can use, I'm trying to replicate metal spiral wound conduit that formed part of the Retriever's cab wiring.

regards

Pete

If your metal conduit is like this as used on the AEC Militant

It is still available. I got mine from these people. www.vintagecarparts for smaller diameters or www.cablecraft for larger ones. Not cheap but good quality and sold by the metre so no wastage

Image0301.jpg

If your metal conduit is like this as used on the AEC Militant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52379[/ATTACH]

It is still available. I got mine from these people. www.vintagecarparts for smaller diameters or www.cablecraft for larger ones. Not cheap but good quality and sold by the metre so no wastage

Rob

that's exactly what I'm looking for thanks for the heads up

Pete