Douglas aircraft tug brake fluid

I have an ex military Douglas aircraft tug based on a David Brown tractor; probably a 990. If it was an agricultural tractor I would expect to use a mineral type brake fluid but as it is also fitted with front wheel brakes I am wondering what is the correct fluid to use. Does anyone have any information on these tugs which could give a definitive answer? The specification plate is dificult to read but I can make out that the Douglas model is 9B.

Thanks for any advice.

Rod

Sorry I was a bit lazy last night. I cleaned off the identification plate properly today.

The beast is a: "Tractor wheeled aircraft medium with winch"

16A/2791

Chassis No DT225

Contract no.A/C TS/NW4315/AC12ac (the 1between the C and the 2 may only be a mark on the plate)

Douglas specification NS 1359B

Also a photo for you to enjoy!

Rod

DSCF3321.jpg

Thanks for the replies. My concern is whether it is a mineral or EG type brake fluid as most agricultural tractors use mineral fluid. This one has four wheel brakes! I spoke to someone at Douglas yesterday who was very helpful and is sending me a lubrication chart for this tractor: it is a "Taskmaster". I had not contacted Douglas before as I had read somewhere that they had binned all their records of the older tugs. They still have technical info and are happy to share it. I will post the answer to my query when I get it form Douglas.

Rod

Edited by Roadster
sp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there Roadster,I also have one of these but mine has a 10 ton Boughton winch on the back of it. I have found out quite a bit about the braking parts on these tractors as my brake system has needed a total rebuild. It is based on ford commercial parts which I have found to be Ford ET6 (thames). I also have an ex RAF manual for this vehicle i could possibly copy for you if you like? Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the lubrication chart you got from Douglas please? I contacted them a few years ago but they wern't interested in the older vehicles then, I may have to try again.RegardsMatt