eBay Chieftan

snowtracdave

Being an awkward so 7 so I sent this query through the eBay system:

Is the price shown in the ad - £1,500,000.00 - correct???

1.5 million quid seems a tad high for a Cheiftain thats a non-runner.... Running versions have gone for around £20,000 - whats so special about this one???

The answer came though tonight - very informative - NOT:

Yes and no!

First thought was some one is trying to extract the urine......... But the sellers been going over a year and has 100% feedback. Maybe he'll post some pic's and then those who know can tell what it really is. Even if it IS a Challenger 1 - it's still not worth a fraction of what he's asking......

Chris - that million was for a pristine, working, new tank. The description reads:

the tank was a test item and has had several Hell fire and other missiles fired at it. My cams broke and I will post picks later!!! The tank will not start as the engine bay took a direct hit, but could be easily repaired by experts

This - to untutored eyes I admit - does not read like a pristine, working tank!! More like a range hulk - in which case would it be a Challenger 1??? Or has the seller got his wires crossed? :schocked:

I asked if I could see this as it was supposed to be local to me.

Heres the reply I got.

Response from crimestoppers---crimestoppers

-------------------------------------------------------

crimestoppers---crimestoppers (115)

Positive feedback: 100%

Registered on: http://www.ebay.co.uk

Item: CHIEFTAIN TANK - LOW MILES, A4 ENGINE M3 TURRET M5 GUN (200049396308)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

crimestoppers---crimestoppers is the seller.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Yes you can. However, as I have several people coming to see the tank already. I'm

sorry that I cannot fit you on this time. One interested party has already seen the

tank several times and lives locally to me and already has several military

vehicles.

Therefore, if the tank does not sell at the advertised price or close to it, I will

give you first viewing.

Thanks for the interest.

Broken Camera and now a plethora of interest !!!!

This bloke can sell my MV's anyday if he gets this price :? :? :? :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

somehow i think that if a 120mm shell hit my tanks engine bay and completely blew it to pieces i could not easily repair it and nor could an expert! :roll:

I remember being told on my (76mm) Gunner Course how, during the recent Middle East war (must have been 1973) the Israelis had captured a lot of T62s - T62 being the then current Soviet MBT in Tank Regiments.

They had offered one up the British Government who gladly accepted. The T62 was studied to death until everything about it was known, then they took it to a tank range to see how it stood up to a 120mm. I presume they fired at the front of the T62 since, as I subsequently learned, being an AFV Recognition instructor, we couldn't rely on non-frontal recognition features, because they'd always be coming towards us ...

Anyway, one round down from a Chieftain and the T62 ... split in half. Big morale boost for the RAC: one hit, one kill, guaranteed.