Our new toy (M3 Halftrack)

spanter

Hi finally got around to it here are some pictures of my uncles latest toy a M3 Halftrack which he test drove at the war and peace show and picked up and drove home the following weekend, some of you will recognise her as she has been on the circuit for a while.

The day after he picked her up they went to a local national trust show in willington, bedfordshire and the following weekend took her along to the military pageant at old warden aerodrome where working liveside meant I could get a few unique pictures :D

Of course you have to stop for refreshments somewhere

From what Tobin the previous owner told us she is very early as she has wing mounted headlamps and her serial number is very low

But the data plate is bare so any information as to what we can put on the plate would be greatfully received, I understand it is an Autocar built example from late 1941 but thats about it?

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

Outside pub.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words, my uncle has been after a halftrack for a while after turning one down 7-8 years ago for £7,500 and so he's finally gone for it. While looking at the war and peace show he had his heart set on an M5 which had been messed about an awful lot but glad the wife noticed this one and pointed it out to him, seems to be a vehicle with much less to do on it (fingers crossed) Is there any way to track back the contract number and other information to put on the data plate as it is bare at the moment?

Neil this one was in americas field with the staghound a bit further up the aisle which had the one for sale on the corner, the one for sale on the corner parked up next to the german halftrack had way too much work to do to make it 'right' lots of heavy corrosion on parts of the body and the fighting compartment had been extensively cut about. All the seats had been moved out to the walls and a new sheet of kick steel layed as a new floor with a set of steps attached which when moved twisted the floor to an alarming degree. It took a lot of convincing to stop my uncle from getting that one as although it was 10k cheaper than some others it needed a lot of work and as everyone knows when you buy something like this its best to try to find the best you can afford.

Lewis shame you weren't about, just wondered if as per normal the lack of advertising meant quite a few people didn't know about the show. The halftrack might be around for the steam fayre as long as my uncle doesn't go on holiday but we'll be there with the usual Shuttleworth bits so pop over for a tea if you like.

Neil this one was in americas field with the staghound a bit further up the aisle which had the one for sale on the corner, the one for sale on the corner parked up next to the german halftrack had way too much work to do to make it 'right' lots of heavy corrosion on parts of the body and the fighting compartment had been extensively cut about. All the seats had been moved out to the walls and a new sheet of kick steel layed as a new floor with a set of steps attached which when moved twisted the floor to an alarming degree. It took a lot of convincing to stop my uncle from getting that one as although it was 10k cheaper than some others it needed a lot of work and as everyone knows when you buy something like this its best to try to find the best you can afford.

<snipped>

Ah - I didn't get much chance to wander this year so must have missed seeing the "For Sale" on this one. The one by the "German" half track (A Czech OT-810) was just opposite where my group was based - we had the Stolly and the Saracen parked up there. It looked OK from the outside but I never had a closer look - not got the ££'s so didn't want to waste the owners time. Can you recall the actual price on this one?

Anyways - looks like your uncle got the best deal with the one you have - again, congratulations!! :D:D

I know that vehicle only too well, it does want a lot of work done and (I think) the owner wants far too much for it. I think he was mad for turning down some of the offers that were made on it. The mechanicals are good though, and it drives well. Its an ex film set hack, it had a BMC diesel engine and wrong gearbox fitted when it was "rescued". The rear body is all repro.

Edited by Grasshopper

If you want to try and find out the history, contract, Ord Number, even USA Hood number, then get on the Tracked board at G503.com

I confirmed the identity of my DiamondT M3A1, that is was converted from T48 model to M3A1 in 1944, and got the new Ordnance Number they assigned, including a copy of the original Chester Tank Depot 'work order'.

Joe De Marco is the Half-track historian on the G503 and if he can't help you, nobody can.....

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=84473

Once you have all the dataplate info, Robert De Ruyter in the Netherlands may stamp the details on a plate for you - he has to adjust all his stamping equipment to take a HT dataplate, so charges extra for this service, but it's worth it.

Just noticed that your M3 has M2 (short) mineracks? If they're original then you'd be able to sell them to an M2 owner, and buy a repro set of M3 racks, with cash to spare. ;)

Funny you should say that I noticed the same and have tried to steer my uncle that way he likes the rear luggage racks as well so who knows? Cheers for the advice on the G503 forum I'll do that while the wife is having her hair done tonight.

Hope to see you Stephen hopefully we'll have some more nice weather for a change.

The one we picked up didn't have a for sale sign in it, we were just using it as an example of what to aim for when the owner said for the right cash he'd part with it due to some other projects. If I remember correctly the 'film hack' one was up for around 25 or there abouts, quite liked the idea of the fuel tank below the floor in place of the international's stowages did make it more people friendly in the back.

Reading these posts and realising just how interested people are in halftracks makes me aware of just how blase I have obviously become over the years. I have an M3 halftrack parked away in a garage where it has stood for the last 4 or 5 years, all in lovely uncut condition, but now the brakes are seized, the exhaust system is shot and the battery u/s.

I have decided that I will make it a winter project, I will post pictures soon, its equiped with 2 deac 30 cals and 1 gas firer 50 cal........ it really should be out on the show scene.

Half-tracks are a superb vehicle, and I always wanted an M3A1, having had a 'matchbox' one as a boy. I managed to buy one back in 2007, but after 2 years driving it to shows, I realised that you really need a beavertail or other transport to get the best out of owning one. I remember taking it to Damyns in 2008 - 2 1/4 hours to drive 36 miles and I had to lay down for an hour afterwards, to recover. Come across any kind of incline in a HT and you'll get overtaken by pedestrians!!

One thing with Half-tracks - you get alot of people coming up to look, and alot of questions. I sold mine to a guy in Belgium in 2009 (doubled my money easily!) and he takes it everywhere - it's nice and flat where he is.

Lovely looking vehicles, but not for the feint hearted, and if something goes wrong, you need deep pockets.

Half-tracks are a superb vehicle, and I always wanted an M3A1, having had a 'matchbox' one as a boy. I managed to buy one back in 2007, but after 2 years driving it to shows, I realised that you really need a beavertail or other transport to get the best out of owning one. I remember taking it to Damyns in 2008 - 2 1/4 hours to drive 36 miles and I had to lay down for an hour afterwards, to recover. Come across any kind of incline in a HT and you'll get overtaken by pedestrians!!

One thing with Half-tracks - you get alot of people coming up to look, and alot of questions. I sold mine to a guy in Belgium in 2009 (doubled my money easily!) and he takes it everywhere - it's nice and flat where he is.

Lovely looking vehicles, but not for the feint hearted, and if something goes wrong, you need deep pockets.

Correct, when one considers the cost of a set of "new" tracks now running at about £3000.00 a set (good for 3000 miles on mettalic roads) That works out at £1 per mile before you put any fuel into the tank, then fuel at £6 + per gal doing 3 mpg with a tail wind and the costs of general mainenance I suspect that the way to go would be group ownership ( re-enactors for example) the shared costs would certainly make ownership and running costs a viable prospect......... if of course you have just won the lottery, then disregard my comments.

I do love my halftrack, and have no intentions of ever selling it, in spite of the fact that my wife tells me to do so on a weekly basis, she just does not understand!!!!!!!!!!!

...I do love my halftrack, and have no intentions of ever selling it, in spite of the fact that my wife tells me to do so on a weekly basis, she just does not understand!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect at one time she was hoping you'd grow out of it :D Your continued attachment to it at your age certainly gives me optimism for the future :laugh:

Just to add a bit of context, the M3 bought at Beltring was mine, Tobin Jones bought it originally, then after 2 years sold it to me,

I enjoyed owning for 6/7 years until deciding that i'd rather go down the WW2 British line of vehicles, so as he knew it was one of the best on the scene, had it back off me earlier this year after 'starring' at Trucks & Troops.

He had not intended to sell it on so quickly, but a good offer was made.

She really was/is a great vehicle, never let me down once. Good luck !

Jules

Something very purposeful about how they look isn't there, yours looked great Chris.

Hello Jules while looking about on the forum my brother found your advert for selling the halftrack last year, really glad we didn't miss out on it as like you say it is in fantastic condition a real tribute to how well you and Tobin have looked after it - thankyou. And she's only living a few miles down the road so hopefully you'll see her out and about.

Steve.

• 1 month later...