BSW Coach Bolts, Where from?

16svt

Question

18 answers to this question

I live near Settle, but work in Carnforth. So Lancaster is close and Leeds is not far.

Ah I'm near Salisbury, Wiltshire. Its just that I have a large quantity of mixed coach bolts I purchased from a scrapyard 25 years ago & very likely some would suit your purposes. If you were nearer I was going to invite you to have a rummage.

Thanks for the offer, I do visit Stroud on a fairly regular basis. Do you have any square nuts (a personal question, I know). They seem very hard to find.<br>Up until now, i have been building the bolts up with a mig welder !!! its ok with the 1/2 BSW bolts, but a bit too time consuming with the smaller ones.

Have you got some pictures of what you want I'm not very good a visualising things in BSW. My brain thinks in AF terms! It would just make it easier when I'm rummaging before I get the micrometer out.

What lengths are you after? What is the length of thread on them?

Square nuts hmm? Well I think the bolt to nut ratio something like 40:1

Stroud is quite a way off from me. What was in my mind was that if you have any mates going to the Great Dorset Steam Fair first week in Sept, there might be an opportunity. I may not have what you need, but it seems a shame if you need them. I was thinking of weighing them in, all I would want for any coach bolts is their scrap value.

Ah I'm near Salisbury, Wiltshire. Its just that I have a large quantity of mixed coach bolts I purchased from a scrapyard 25 years ago & very likely some would suit your purposes. If you were nearer I was going to invite you to have a rummage.

Just found yourMessage about Coach Bolts on Google, and see that it is six years old.

Nonetheless, like the other enquirer, i am looking for Coach Bolts for a similar purpose, and wonder if you still have any?

Regards

Peter

Does anyone know where I can get 1/4 and 5/16 BSW coach bolts from. i'm also after square nut for them. I need them as im working on my Matadors body and the old ones are almost rusted through. I cant bear to put in metric.

Thanks

Hi , Is this Dan with the Matador I met at the Cumbria Steam Gathering this year ??

I think if I remember rightly there is a bit on square nuts on the pre ww2 vehicle section for the ww1 Dennis - I think they are still avail from the U.S. quite readily as for the BSW Bolts I really struggled to find them for my Morris , The hex nuts of the right spanner size for the early stuff seem to have disappeared all together and I had to set to with the lathe and make the 138 i needed !! I used to do around ten finished nuts each night before moving on to other things so as not to get completely fed up with making them ! - I must admit it was well worth the effort!!

Don't forget that the smaller BSW stuff is the same size as unc - The difference being in the angle of the thread - I think one is 55 degree's and the other is 60 degree's if memory serves me well .;)

cheers Glynn

Yes - that would be acceptable to me!

You can buy all of these easily and cheaply in the USA on USA EBay - but the killer is the postage - then VAT and Import Duty when they arrive in this country. The best way to do it is to find someone going to the States on holiday - or on business and get them to pop into a hardware store - buy them there and bring them back in their ordinary luggage. Put them in a suitcase with just ordinary stuff. Any big store - equivalent of B and Q or Wickes will have them on the shelf there!

Tony

Yes - that would be acceptable to me!

You can buy all of these easily and cheaply in the USA on USA EBay - but the killer is the postage - then VAT and Import Duty when they arrive in this country. The best way to do it is to find someone going to the States on holiday - or on business and get them to pop into a hardware store - buy them there and bring them back in their ordinary luggage. Put them in a suitcase with just ordinary stuff. Any big store - equivalent of B and Q or Wickes will have them on the shelf there!

Omitted to say - they are always known as "Carriage Bolts" in the USA ! If you should get any, then file the writing off the heads of the bolts before you use them for total authenticity! Only takes a second or two for each bolt.

Tony