Anyone installed/made a Champ Winch?

Scarab

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Champ at the moment, after recent advice on here I've now done my research and got my heart set on one.

Obviously only 3 "official" Winches were ever made for the Champ and non put into production.

But I was wondering if anyone had recreated one, or installed another winch. Did it work well, did it use the PTO and how might I best go about it?

Any and all help appreciated.

Alex

There is no pto. the champ winch bolted on top of the foward/reverse gear case

Sorry to correct you Chris, the Champ winch was driven by a PTO mounted on top of the transfer box, same unit fitted to the rare Champ Fire tender our mutual friend had in for axle repairs, he has some pics, the winch fitted in the well on top of the fuel tank, there are only a few Champ pto's in existance, so to recreate one would be a very expensive engineering exercise

Check out the Austin Champ owners club for more info, I think there is a pic of a pto unit in their photo archives

Edited by Nick Johns

I have a champ with a winch which is a Turner originally built for a landrover of the same era, the PTO is a very well engineered copy of the original albeit a fabricated casing not cast as the original ones were. Malcolm Scots civi Champ has an original PTO.

I bought my Champ about 12 years ago with the winch already fitted by the previous owner who had his own machine shop, it is in very original condition never having been "restored" only maintained. It has stood in my garage since purchased awaiting the day when I stop playing with the bigger toys, then is will get a nut and bolt restoration. I even have a brand new set of Dunlop Trakgrip tyres for it.

John

Sorry to correct you Chris, the Champ winch was driven by a PTO mounted on top of the transfer box, same unit fitted to the rare Champ Fire tender our mutual friend had in for axle repairs, he has some pics, the winch fitted in the well on top of the fuel tank, there are only a few Champ pto's in existance, so to recreate one would be a very expensive engineering exercise

Check out the Austin Champ owners club for more info, I think there is a pic of a pto unit in their photo archives

shouldn't post when tired :(