Explorer on Ebay

Contaminated fuel.

Fuel drained from cars whose owners have filled up with the wrong fuel by mistake.

A mix of petrol and diesel in varying amounts.

Garages would normally have to pay to dispose of it as a hazardous substance, so if someone offers to take it all away then everyone's a winner!

I'd heard that some older diesel engines would run on it, but I didn't realise that an old petrol lump would like it too!

Edited by Johnny

Contaminated fuel.

Fuel drained from cars whose owners have filled up with the wrong fuel by mistake.

Garages would normally have to pay to dispose of it as a hazardous substance, so if someone offers to take it all away then everyone's as winner!

I'd heard that some older diesel engines would run on it, but I didn't realise that an old petrol lump would like it too!

Bet it would smoke like a train until it got warm too, depending on diesel to petrol ratio.

Contaminated fuel.

Garages would normally have to pay to dispose of it as a hazardous substance, so if someone offers to take it all away then everyone's as winner!

These days it is fairly difficult to get diesel into a petrol tank but easy to get petrol into a diesel, because of the filler design. I recon it averages at about 80% petrol. My RL runs on it OK as did Adam Elsdons Humber Pig, I have a lawn mower that loves it, A Suzuki 410 runs it no bother and Ted Rileys Explorer ran on it very well. Bear in mind that older low compression petrol engines were designed to run on much lower octane fuel, all a bit of diesel does is lubricate the upper cylinder. Granted it can be a bit smokey until it warms up but you can get it for nothing and someone has already paid the road duty on it so it is legal. If you do get a more diesel batch you just add some fresh unleaded to it.

• 4 weeks later...

its jacksons recovery in morpeth northumberland that had the explorer and martian for sale. i know the guy and he does also have a antar and an old humber which ive been told is rare. they buy and sell ex military stuff and do repairs for the army as well.

Back in the 1980s when I first restored my GMC 353 I found that when I took her out for a steady run, sometimes whilst just feathering the throttle at 30/35mph the engine would suddenly cut out....... fuel starvation, I rattled the accelerator a few times and she fired back in, a little later the same thing would happen again, and so on. I eventually came to the conclusion that the problem was the float sticking in the carb. I decided to mix about a gallon of diesel in with a full tank of fuel ( You could afford to fill up in those days) to act as a lubricant in the carb............ I never had any more trouble with the float.:goodidea: