Looking for Sherman parts.

ArmourWorld

Hey guys. We have ran in to a bit of a brick wall with our restoration. We are installing a hydraulic traverse system but we are missing the oil tank. From what my dad has told me it is a rather specific part with pressure release valves and such fitted to it. If anybody knows where we could get our hands on one of these we would love to hear from you!

And as a bit of a personal project I am looking up information on the Gyro stab system. I am sure Adrian can help me with this as I am wondering if the M4A4 had the stab fitted and if so how complex the system is. I am fairly certain that the parts are pretty much impossible to get so it's more of a curiosity to see just in the off chance I could get my hands on one.

Hope to see many of you at War and peace! I am pretty much geared up to get filming!

John.

Hey guys. We have ran in to a bit of a brick wall with our restoration. We are installing a hydraulic traverse system but we are missing the oil tank. From what my dad has told me it is a rather specific part with pressure release valves and such fitted to it. If anybody knows where we could get our hands on one of these we would love to hear from you!

And as a bit of a personal project I am looking up information on the Gyro stab system. I am sure Adrian can help me with this as I am wondering if the M4A4 had the stab fitted and if so how complex the system is. I am fairly certain that the parts are pretty much impossible to get so it's more of a curiosity to see just in the off chance I could get my hands on one.

Hope to see many of you at War and peace! I am pretty much geared up to get filming!

John.

.......you guys that take on these massive and total restorations are absolute heroes as far as I'm concerned...from looking at some of the posts on here I am truly amazed at how much work you take on.......RESPECT!

for what its worth...

.... about the late 90s ...a scrapyard in Trowbridge ..EJ Shanleys......had a pile of 'scrap' in their 'Greenlanes' yard that was coming in quite regularly from the ranges and in amongst it was a lot of Sherman stuff........nothing complete in anyway whatsoever but lots of big lumps like fronts of tanks with gearboxs and sprockets, turrets, mantlets and hatches and piles of tracks and idlers etc..

has to be said.....all very shot up and damaged but a lot that (with the gift of hindsight! tsk!) could have been carefully stripped and saved...

..At the time I bought a lot of stainless steel chemical vessels off them and have always kicked myself over the years for not buying the whole pile of tank remains.....

..I never even thought about it at the time but I know now there would have been a cracking market for more or less everything..........

you never know..... it may be worth getting in contact with them if no-one already has????

Hi John,

was just talking to your dad this morning. It was our traditional pre-Beltring 'have you got.....?' conversation!

The stabilizer consists of a pump driven from the traverse motor, a gyro box and a hydraulic ram to move the gun. The pump is different on the Oilgear and Westinghouse systems because they run at different speeds.

A pump is not too hard, the ram also but finding a useable gyro box is harder. There are several versions, 12v for Stuart tanks, 24v for mediums and it evolved over time from two gyros to a single one. By their nature, gyroscopes are delicate so you would need to find a nice one and not a range find like mine.....

In all honesty, I did not attempt to make mine work, the gyro box was damaged and they were not used in service much as shooting on the move in a Sherman is not really an option!

If you can find the bits, it should not be too hard to get working though.

Thanks Adrain! I woke up to hearing him doing his "Have you got?" with a few people and a couple of "You still have!" as well!

I know our Gyro was non-existent. As you can guess it was full of holes or was part of the 6 inches of "rust" lining the bottom of the hull. I am just very curious as I have never seen a working example.

I'll probably never find everything but I can always try!

I hope to see you at Beltring Adrian and get a chat with you once my dad has had his chat (Yes there is a pecking order)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wishing all of you going to War and Peace a safe journey! We are leaving tonight for the ferry and can't wait to get back to the show (after missing the previous 6 years.. but girlfriend liked London a lot)

All the best chaps! Hope to see you guys in person and swap some chat and a beer maybe!