Health Rumours

antarmike

Some time ago an incorrect statement regarding my health was posted on this forum. Although I am glad it has been removed, probably a lot of you saw it, and you can still remember what what alleged.

I have been suffering with SVT (Supra Ventricular Tachycardia,) or periods of increased but regular heartbeats.

I have been in full and constant contact with my GP, my Consultant at Lincoln County Hospital, and the team at Leicester University Hospital, a centre of excellence for heart problems, together with those companies that insure me to drive vehicles.

All concluded that under Government guidelines this particular form of arrhythmia (actually now confirmed as AVRT or Atrio Ventricular Re-entry Tachycardia, (rather than AVNRT,) which never caused me to black out, and was not likely to cause me to black out meant that I did not have to notify DVLA of the condition.

The suggestion made on here was that DVLA ought to be notified and that to continue to drive large vehicles might be irresponsible.

By way of an update, and some of you know this already, I have undergone Catheter RF Ablation, and the indications are that this has been successful and will end the occurrence of the arrhythmia, but even if it does not the team at Leicester University Hospital, who have been treating me, have again re-affirmed to me that I can continue to drive, under DVLA rules for HGV driving, without the need to inform them, because it is still the medical teams view that this condition will not cause me to become incapacitated.

I trust that those people on here who personally know the originator of the original rumour, will take the opportunity to keep him updated, since I would like him to know of my successful progress and the Leicester University college's teams take on the situation.

Thanks.

Edited by antarmike

Same as the others I haven't seen the thread. Good for you putting it straight and glad to hear you have a great team taking care of you.

As said 'keep on trucking' :kiss:

:cool2: Haven't seen the thread either, go with the advisors, they known what they are doing and if anything like my father, enjoy the nurses!!!!!!!! we all need a bit of maintenance sometimes just like vehicles!!!

The post to which I referred was only up for a day at the most, so yes maybe many of you didn't see it.

But thanks again everyone, I am glad I went for the procedure but I am a bit miffed. I was told before the procedure I had a 1% chance of dying, a 2% chance that they would burn a hole through the heart and have to take some pretty quick action to prevent me dying, and a 1% chance that I might end up having a pacemaker fitted. That left about a 96% chance of success without complications.

However on the recovery ward, they wheeled in a guy who had just had to have a pacemaker fitted and they were explaining to him the implications, which included the fact that he might have to stop welding, since an investigation would have to be carried out to see if in his circumstances, doing the particular welding he was doing, whether it was compatible with a pacemaker.

Seeing that I am a professional welder and my livelihood depends on being able to weld, I think I should have been told at the assessment stage that if the operation went wrong and I ended up with a pacemaker, then I might also end up out of a job and un-employable in that field. That might have altered the decision I made. But all has worked out well so no problem, it is just I wish the full consequences had been spelled out to me before signing the consent form.

Whatever was said, and whatever you should have been told, the main thing is that you are well....and whilst we have never met i hope that continues for a long time to come...

to your continued good health !!!

Mike

As long as your fit and healthy mate! As for HGV/PCV medicals, the last one I took I was told I'd have to be on blood pressure tablets for the rset of my life! Ten minutes later my blood pressure had dropped 25 points! Why, I hate Doctor's surgerys!

glad to hear you are OK now and still driving. I know what it is like to give some thing up I had both knees replaced had to give up motorcycling ,I can still drive a car . good luck to and the very best of health to you. and keep those wagons rolling.

Hi Mike,

glad to hear all went well, but you still need to take it easy, i`ve had 2 of these operations, the second was under local anesthetic (but very strong) as the anethatist called in ill :D but both have finally reverted back to my problem of arteiral fibulation had my 5 cardioversion last week but i must admitt i dont think its worked :(

ashley