Battery disconnect specs

I have a Daimler Ferret. I have used a green knob type battery disconnect ( on negative ground terminal ) but it occasionally will arc if not screwed down tight. I am looking at a blade type disconnect which will give a better gap when disconnected. The specs on the blade disconnect are 125amp continuous and 375amp surge. Anyone have any idea if this would be sufficient for electrical demands of a ferret? I only need power for engine, lights , intercom but have no radios etc.Cheers,Andrew

Get a key type disconnect, stick it through one of the holes in the battery box. You will need to drill 2 holes for the bolts and buy a couple of short leads to connect it up. I've had one on mine for 10 years and never had a problem.

Chris

Get a key type disconnect, stick it through one of the holes in the battery box. You will need to drill 2 holes for the bolts and buy a couple of short leads to connect it up. I've had one on mine for 10 years and never had a problem.

Chris

This is the way to go. Also a good anti-theft deterant!

Get a key type disconnect, stick it through one of the holes in the battery box. You will need to drill 2 holes for the bolts and buy a couple of short leads to connect it up. I've had one on mine for 10 years and never had a problem.Chris
Quick question. How do you connect from the battery cable to the post on the switch. Mine is quite thick cable & looks like it would be hard connect to a ring type connection.

It shouldn't be an issue. I just went out and had a look at mine. The new cable I bought to go from the switch back to the battery had a smaller ring than the terminal, so I just made up a block of aluminium with 2 holes in it to go between the cable and the switch.

Chris

SAM_0664.JPG

SAM_0669.JPG

I would second the method used by Chris, from memory that is exactly how we have done ours, it did pain me to drill the two securing holes, as it goes against my credo. Added anti theft value as stated.R
Sounds like a good idea. To get my ground wire to connect to the switch I need a ring terminal. With that in mind it might be worth just replacing the ground cable with a new one ( maybe also replace the other cables too.) couple of related questions:Where does the ground cable attach to the hull? Is it easy to get to to remove?What guage cable is best maybe 2/0 or is that too thick?Where does the cable from the drivers left battery positive terminal attach? Would this be easy to replace?I did find a similar switch that does not look like drilling is needed:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017101BE/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Frost do an inline battery disconnect. Attachs to a round pole .

I'm using a terminal mounted battery disconnect (screw knob) type on the negative terminal on the first battery (battery box under the air filter) There is just enough room to slide my arm in to dis/reconnect, whilst in the drivers seat - seat fully back. It was an easy fit, but the drawback is that it won't be easy or quick to disconnect the batts in the event of a problem/short. especially if I've got the lid on. It was just a temporary measure to stop the batteries going flat when the ferret was not used.

Chris am i correct in saying your pictures show the key mounted in the LH (under gen panel) battery box. Does it break the connection between the two batteries (between the positive batt 1 and neg batt 2)?

MT

Having looked into all this I have decided to use a switch disconnect on the neg ground battery & mount it on the battery box. To do this I am changing out my battery cables & using ring connectors on the new cables to make the connections easy.( also cables are old & could use replacing.)

2 questions:

1. What gauge wire do you guys use in a ferret? Looks to me like 2 ga or maybe 1/0.

2.The positive cable hooks onto the inter vehicle connector box area with what looks like a proprietary connection. I don't want to break it investigating how it connects. Can anyone tell me how it comes apart & what the connection looks like? Also does anyone sell connectors to replace?

Thanks,Andrew

Edited by Andrew S