Korean War British Combat Clothing

wdbikemad

Chaps (and Ladies ?)

Does anyone have any examples of the 1950's era British combat trousers ? I have several examples of "Trousers, Combat, Sateen", the same but "1952" and "1953" patterns........none have any lining fitted......can anyone expand on this area ? I'd like to know if any of the 1950's era British combat trousers were fitted with a lining material........

As for Parka's.....there are two patterns of green "middle" parka, with and without hood fitted (plus pocket variations)....but rumour has it that a cammo version was made....any takers...???

Chaps (and Ladies ?)

Does anyone have any examples of the 1950's era British combat trousers ? I have several examples of "Trousers, Combat, Sateen", the same but "1952" and "1953" patterns........none have any lining fitted......can anyone expand on this area ? I'd like to know if any of the 1950's era British combat trousers were fitted with a lining material........

As for Parka's.....there are two patterns of green "middle" parka, with and without hood fitted (plus pocket variations)....but rumour has it that a cammo version was made....any takers...???

Steve - I think my 1952/53 gear is broadly the same as yours but I will double check to make sure.

I have examples of the 52 'Parka Middle' and 53 'Parka middle with detachable hood' but have never seen or even heard of a camo version....that would be rare indeed!

So am I to add the following to my rocking horse s**t list?!?:

- 1963 Pattern Windproof trousers

- 1953 Pattern Parka Middle - Camouflage

:-D:-D

While on the topic of Korean issue uniforms, I picked this Jungle hat up on Sunday at the local carboot, I think the badge (48/58) is for the Northamptonshire regiment, with a Bantam/Cockerel badge on the other side, which appears to put it in the Korean theatre of operations, I'm not so sure though that the curtain cord is a period attachment ?

The 48/58 badge is held on by 4x pressed studs/poppers.

Any thoughts anybody ?

Thanks

Gary

4858.jpg

4858a.jpg

Steve - I think my 1952/53 gear is broadly the same as yours but I will double check to make sure.

I have examples of the 52 'Parka Middle' and 53 'Parka middle with detachable hood' but have never seen or even heard of a camo version....that would be rare indeed!

So am I to add the following to my rocking horse s**t list?!?:

- 1963 Pattern Windproof trousers

- 1953 Pattern Parka Middle - Camouflage

:-D:-D

I've seen a late 1950's experimental parka made in a cammo finish similar to the WW2 windproofs......but never an issue example in the flesh.....might just be a rumour but you never know !The original 1951 issue middle parka had an attached hood and no top pockets....later replaced in 1952 by a type with top pockets and a detachable hood used up to the 1970's........

While on the topic of Korean issue uniforms, I picked this Jungle hat up on Sunday at the local carboot, I think the badge (48/58) is for the Northamptonshire regiment, with a Bantam/Cockerel badge on the other side, which appears to put it in the Korean theatre of operations, I'm not so sure though that the curtain cord is a period attachment ?

Any thoughts anybody ?

Thanks

Gary

Nice Steve - and from my local regiment! Any markings inside? I have an unissued version of one of these but markings are diffcult to distinguish and it is in a stupidly small size!

I've seen a late 1950's experimental parka made in a cammo finish similar to the WW2 windproofs......but never an issue example in the flesh.....might just be a rumour but you never know !The original 1951 issue middle parka had an attached hood and no top pockets....later replaced in 1952 by a type with top pockets and a detachable hood used up to the 1970's........

Also - the 1951 version was made from a lighter weight, softer material - very different from the 1952 type.

Also - the 1951 version was made from a lighter weight, softer material - very different from the 1952 type.

There are a number of fabric variations around this period......the experimental pre-Korean War combat clothing was described as being made from gaberdine, although the issue clothing introduced from mid-1951 onwards is generally made from cotton-sateen although with smocks lined in gaberdine and the combat cap made throughout in the latter material.....I have some reports relating to the evaluation of combat clothing fabrics written during 1950 and these refer to cotton-gaberdine and cotton-oxford cloths, no mention being made of cotton-sateen......this suggests that the WD were actively researching and developing materials around this period...

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

According to the Chappell book on the subject, the early ones were made as an oversuit to go over battledress rather than as a stand-alone item of clothing.

Consequently they were not lined as the wearers other clothing was the liner. It was more of a windproof and rain resistant layer.

Cheers,

Dave

As my research continues, more info comes to light ! Production combat suit introduced during 1951 in time for the 2nd Korean winter of 51-52. All items (smock, hood, cap, trouser & parka) made from cotton-gaberdine and trousers LINED. From 1952 onwards change in material saw all garments made from cotton-sateen except for the combat cap that remained in gaberdine. Due to sateen being heavier than gaberdine trouser lining discontinued. Sateen garments now all termed "1952 pattern".....the earlier gaberdine versions having no formal year designation.......

Trial combat suit of 1948-49 designed to be worn over battledress but production suit of 1951 onwards designed (the trousers) to be worn over thick woollen trouser-liners (trousers, inner) and in turn worn over long-johns......however, smock to be worn over BD jacket, pullover, etc......

• 11 years later...
On 6/17/2011 at 8:41 PM, garys39 said:

Any thoughts anybody ?

Thanks

Gary

4858.jpg

4858a.jpg

Hi my dad served in the REME 49 -54 & they had this patch on their uniforms, something to do with Korea ? Also have a photo of a jeep with this cockrel/bantum logo on, regards Richard