tracked vehicle speed record

landyandy

Sitting sideways enclosed in the back of an armoured vehicle is seasick-making without seeing fluids moving!

I was lucky in that I only crewed in the back of a Sultan for one exercise season before getting command of a rebro ferret.

The soft suspension on a CVR(T) meant that every time the driver sped up or slowed down, my guts churned due to the same motion in my stomach that caused seasickness (even though I raced yachts for the regiment).

At least when commanding you were generally looking at a point in the distance in between brief checks of the map.

Alien old chap

You were probably in a vehicle equipped with the Armstrong dampers. The newer Messier dampers are considerably better especially off road..

Cheers

Tim

in reply to this message, mvee did all sorts of trials on cvrts, and the incident you mention did take place when i was based at mvee. The incident occurred on the test track at chertsey where the cvrt was coming of the test track onto one of the side roads and was travelling at a high speed and there was bad weather conditions. At the same time a chieftain tank was proceeding from the skid pan area onto the test track. The cvrt collided with the side of the chieftain, there was minimal damage to the chieftain and extensive damage to the cvrt and as a result of the impact the two military personnel in the cvrt mick and ken died. I along with my comrades attended the funeral of mick while other comrades attended the funeral of ken.

rip...

Edited by timbo

• 1 month later...

Wasp MVEE Test Vehicle.jpg

Attached is a photograph of a CVRT at MVEE which I found on the web along with this description of its purpose

WASP - MVEE Test Vehicle

This vehicle was a turretless CVR(T) Scorpion used by the Military Vehicles Engineering Establishment Chertsey in the late 70's early 80's. It was powered by an Avo-Lycoming 7.2L petrol engine mounted in the turret well. It was used for High Speed Track and Suspension testing.

That looks - useful ....;)

What do they do with these things anyway when they are done ? Do they get sold off through the usual channels ?

It all depends on the project they were used for, when i was stationed there I was involved with the end of a trial life of a vehicle where we stripped the complete vehicle down, it was a Foden FH70, I think the engine along with the gearbox and axles got dispatched to trade training in Borden and the rest was scrapped, what a waste of a vehicle

Very interesting picture of 00SP94.

It looks identical to my 00WA63 before returning her to the original build spec.

I wonder if there was more than one Wasp produced, or if there has been a number change at some time?

0054_zps2ad6b9c2.jpg

Incidentally, it is quite a lot different to 00SP97 which is on display at Bovingdon Tank Museum.

Jon