Deactivated Bren

bovington1

Question

Hi,sure someone on here will know the answer to this.

Recently acquired deactivated Mk1 Bren,problem is it came without its certificate..

Just wonder how i would stand if "old bill" took an interest to it on my jeep or i came to sell it ?? Cheers.

13 answers to this question

Recently acquired deactivated Mk1 Bren,problem is it came without its certificate..

Just wonder how i would stand if "old bill" took an interest to it on my jeep or i came to sell it ?? Cheers.

Al you will need the deact cert it is proff that has been deactevated in acordance with law, Jeep ! surely a morrise.

Al

Hi,

I believe the law doesn't require you to have a certificate as proof. The proof is the stampings of the Birmingham proof house on the deact reciever etc.

But most coppers won't know much about the law and like bits of paper to show them.

Doug

u can take to proof house in london or birmingham i did with my bren last year to london costs about 40 quid all they do is inspect the gun they issue new cert , took about 40 minutes and there is one parking slot right outside proof house! gun is inspected to levels that applied when originally deactivated

right when did u take your gun was it after august 2010 thats when i took my mk11 bren and i had chat with guy inspecting my bren about will it have to be re- deactivated to latest spec and he said no,they look for proof house marks when originally deactivated and as long as it was correct then new cert dated 2011 is issued, as of aug last year at london fee was 40 odd quid for new cert issue

Happened to me last year with the .50cal. Lucky I know a local chap who works for a f/a dealer. Inspected it for me, the three deact. stampings in the correct places, originaly London.

took it to Birmingham, just restamped and cert. issued.

I would get the certificate. Mine has been asked for and checked at events by the Military Police. No prob. if you have it, if not????

Have been threads on the forum about this subject. I think... brens, GPMG's etc. deactivation work required is not as damaging as to SMG's rifles etc.