Instant Nissen / Romney garage for that stalled winter project..

ruxy

Brilliant invention! Actually the Roaman's had concrete that would set under water. I hope the guys make a fortune out of it, the uses must be inumarable, think of all the flooding latley, a damn sight more effective than sandbags and permenat!

Two questions for these entrperures

Would you need planning permission if that was on your own property ? as no doubt the local council would see it as a permanent structure .

2 Can you get one that would be big enough to store a chieftain ?

bloody good idea though no more aspestos/cementfiber nightmares

Two questions for these entrperures

Would you need planning permission if that was on your own property ? as no doubt the local council would see it as a permanent structure .

2 Can you get one that would be big enough to store a chieftain ?

bloody good idea though no more aspestos/cementfiber nightmares

You probably would need planning (possibly get this) and building regulations (suspect you could not get this).

You could probably make it as big as you want but may not survive a winter with snow loads.

Mike

Considering the half barrel shape, I rather suspect it would survive a heavy snow load. The two guys don't strike me as stupid , they must have thought of that. I wonder if they can covered in a berm? That way you could disguse it as the farm yard muck heap! Keep it very warm as well! :-D

Considering the half barrel shape, I rather suspect it would survive a heavy snow load. The two guys don't strike me as stupid , they must have thought of that. I wonder if they can covered in a berm? That way you could disguse it as the farm yard muck heap! Keep it very warm as well! :-D

They probably have thought of snow loads on smaller structures, but a chieftan size "bunker" maybe a different matter.

As for burying them under soil this has its own issues. They have eventually finished the Tesco at Gerrards Cross. You may remember this one from the news. Simple idea build concrete dome over railway, cover in soil, from sides upwards and then buid supermarket.

Contractor thought better, Dump soil on top and let it fall down the sides, resukt, whole lot on railway line, minutes after a train had passed under.

http://www.meadwaypark.co.uk/Collapse/index.html

Same issue with snow, if it builds up from base and compacts it will hold if not, get the shovel out.

Mike

Planning permission in conservation area , or if floor area more than 30 square meters, , or height more than 4m or eaves more than 2.5m..

Building regs. only if Planning Permission needed or if in front of house building line facing a main road or floor area covering more than 50% of garden

England & Wales - basic rules..

I see your point Mike. A Cocrete tarpulin could be useful though. Build scaffold frame, throw sheet over and wet. Would work for smaller vehicles, instant garage.

Having watched construction of a Tesco extra, car park and flats a few years back, I'm not going to comment on Tesco's building startegy.

Edited by Tony B

Planning permission in conservation area , or if floor area more than 30 square meters, , or height more than 4m or eaves more than 2.5m..

Building regs. only if Planning Permission needed or if in front of house building line facing a main road or floor area covering more than 50% of garden

England & Wales - basic rules..

Not quite, the two do not neccessarily go hand in hand.

Building Regulations Approval is required on things that do not need planning.

You do not need planning permission to knock a hole for a door through an internal wall, but if it is a load bearing wall you need building regs approval as it is a structural alteration.

You also need building regs approval for double glazing, heating and certain electrical work.

Approval process varies dependant upon work.

You need Planning if you want to turn your garden into a concrete yard, but you do not need building regs.

Temporary buildings need building regs if they are there for more than 28 days

Mike