Meteor engine HP Mk IVb v M120

R Cubed

I did not know the Meteor M120 produced 810HP as opposed to the MkIVb only producing 650HP, so my question is how did the M120 achieve 160HP more than the IVb, was this only down to the addition of the mechanical fuel injection system or were there other differences to the engine design.

So were the heads actually different or just machined more to fit the bigger valves ect. Was the bottom end all the same ie. same pistons, rods, crank ect... do you know if the compression ratio was the same ?

So were the heads actually different or just machined more to fit the bigger valves ect. Was the bottom end all the same ie. same pistons, rods, crank ect... do you know if the compression ratio was the same ?

bottom end is standerd all through the range,heads are bigger and compression ratio is slightly higher on m120

Edited by landyandy

• 3 weeks later...

Saw and spoke to Landyandy up at slab common about their Conquer which has an M120 in it, and I thought all the Meteors produced much the same HP but the M120 is quite alot more, this got me thinking about the differences of the Meteor Mk's and then thought that as lots of the Meteor parts were non air worthy merlin parts I wondered if the heads ect were modded as the Merlins were as they ran up to their replacement at the end of the war.

i took my mk1a meteor from the charioteer up to a guy in carlisle on tuesday to give it a good going over. the fella's workshop must have had 10 merlins and meteors aswell as griffons all in various states of repair, a real petrol heads dream :D

i'll have a word if you like, i think peter the mechanic possibly has one for sale and i know he does a bit of work for the tractor pulling guys so there might be an engine going spare from those lunatics aswell :cool2: