Welcome aboard Martin and thank you for taking the time to give us some info and Reos seem to be the way to go!

Best wishes.

Jack.

Welcome Martin and good to see you are thinking of getting a MAN'S toy, a Jack :wink:

Hi

Thanks for your good wishes.

I was a bit worried about the licensing/MOT issues with Reos.

As far as I have been able to deduce:-

As I took my 'A' test in 1974 I can drive up to 7.5T gross. If the vehicle is pre 01.01.1960 the weight is irrelevant but it must be that old and driven unladen with any trailer unladen,

I want a camper proper so it seems to me I can get a M109 and get VIN plates (legitimately) to show a gross weight which will be 7.5T. I t will then need a class 4 MOT for motor caravan and will be registered and kitted out as such. I still get free tax and free (ish) fuel.

Any comments welcome.

Martin

Have you tried your's yet Neil :evil: and Martin the Reo is classed as 2.5 ton lorry :-D

Getting there Mark - getting there!! Got feelers out for seal retainers a year ahead of schedule and next maintenance period will see the cab plates coming up to check the clutch master and the rubber boot over the winch...

Getting there Mark - getting there!! Got feelers out for seal retainers a year ahead of schedule and next maintenance period will see the cab plates coming up to check the clutch master and the rubber boot over the winch...

Nice one love to see the pics when it finally goes in :wink:

Hi

Our first proper MV was a DUKW and we now have a Dutton Amphibian.

I appreciate the Reo is a 2.5 T but it seems for the licence purpose you have to add this to the empty weight to get the gross or MAM (maximum authorised mass). For me this would have to be 7.5T or under and I'm not too sure a soft top comes within that.

Martin

Guest qtronics

Hello and welcome (I’m new as well around here),

I was going the same route of the Reo into a camper, unfortunately not going to be able to now due to cash flow.

I have the new style license, limited to 3.5t. So I was going the same legal route as you with the driving license.

BTW, whats this thing with Reos and the free fuel comments, is that just because it’s diesel (multifuel)? Anyone tried it on SVO?

Al.

Alex, they use fuel called contam (contaminated) basically a mixture of petrol/diesel and it costs a few quid for the recovery companies to get rid of, so you go around and pick it up for a beer or they give it to you, if as normal there is too much petrol in the mix I will stick a pint of oil in the tank with 25 litres of contam, tends to smoke a little but it thickens it up enough.

It is not wise to run on contam all the time as it tends to mess up the filters and such like, also if the contam is not pure, i.e. thay have put in say antifreeze in the same barrel, then this will do mega damage, so you have to be sure of your supplier, now and again I will buy 50 litres of pure diesel to give the girl a treat and you can tell the difference in the way she goes (thats the truck by the way), and at 8-10 mpg it is cheap to run.

Guest qtronics

Thanks for the info Mark, despite having researched pretty heavily (well I thought so anyhow) I have never seen that mentioned.

Would make a good bit of info for the Wiki, along with some photos of your Reo :-D

Al

Hi

Go to Steel Soldiers (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/) as someone there does a graph to work out what the petrol/diesel mix is so you can add pure diesel if needed. You will need to search for it.

I used to filter the fuel with an old fuel pump and diesel filter before I put it into the tank. If it smelt strongly of petrol I just added diesel.

Hope this helps. My search continues..........

M