Engine transportation southampton area to Dunfermline

gazzaw

Looking for any contact details or numbers etc for a cheap/friendly courier to bring a palletised 216 Chevy Engine from Southampton area - Brockenhurst, Hampshire to Dunfermline, Fife. Or someone who has experience of shipping nationally that can advise.

Regards

Gary

Palletline's online quote says £99.60 inc VAT. I'd be interested to see if you find anything cheaper as I'm looking to ship a pallet of 432 track and Palletline is the cheapest I've found so far.

Andy

I've used palletline on several occasions and have always found them both good value and efficient. Last time was about 2007; a 2.25 litre diesel Land-Rover engine and all ancillaries, strapped and wrapped on a euro-pallet. Canterbury to Doncaster was £55 plus vat. At the time you couldn't have driven half of the round trip for that in diesel, let alone when you add in the "cost" of a day of your time.

If you live somewhere (or the engine needs picking up from somewhere) where it will be difficult for a large lorry to access make sure to tell them. Usually you'll find it does the journey in three stages: Collection and delivery to hub on one lorry, trunk from hub to destination hub on another, then final delivery on a third. The last thing you (or the delivering driver) needs is for it to arrive at a housing estate on a 40ft artic!

Also, make sure they know to collect/deliver with a tail-lift if you don't have a handy forklift at each end!

All the best, Glen.

Thanks Guys

Some to contact now and get quotes etc. Looking at the Epay sellers who ship their similar sized engines the range seems £40 to £80 - might also contact them to see who they use too

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give us a run down of what you had to do to get this engine I am sure lots would be interested in actually what you had to do for it all to fall into place, how clean did the engine have to be, tied to a pallet, was it covered ect ect...

Yep the seller drained oil from sump (there is no oil filter as it is an add on component but this would need drained as well). He wrapped it up in clingfilm then laid it on its side -it is a straight 6 so basically flat and almost same size as a standard pallet. He then banded it to pallet. The courier company came to uplift, labelled it and made sure there were no leaks etc.

I told them there was no forklift at uplift so a tail lift and pallet barrow required, there was hard standing. At other end we have a forklift but also hard standing and they arrived with same as uplift so was just as quick to roll it off into garage.

UK Pallets were very good and communicated throughout - recommend them and would use again.

I suppose if no clingfilm the palet could be lined with absorbent material on top of plastic, with the engine wrapped in same and tied on securely.

Gary

A couple of photos new left old right, just need to swap over a few bits, basically everything else same.

16042011149.jpg

16042011151.jpg