WW2 Brit Pen knife? found in garden!

Masseyboy89

I apologise if this is in the wrong place to post this, I am fairly certain I dug up a WW2 pen knife in my garden, this is it after a clean, the blade seems to have de-laminated - the whole thing looks to have seen some action! Sorry about the poor photos!

Photo1367.jpg

Photo1363.jpg

thats a nice find, i got 2 very similar one is bout 5" long blade with same spike and tin opener blade but in a green finish on handle i believe it was my grand fathers when he served in 1919/20 the other has a 3" blade green handle again , seem to remember them being called jack knifes but could be wrong

iain

This one has the 2 blades like yours, the main one is about 4" and small one is 2" knife is about 5" overall and has a 4" spike? finish looks almost like bone with a copper loop? I can just about make out 'SCOTIA' then below 'J.MC GLOR' then just 'SHEFFIELD' corrosion has set into fairly badly and I cant see the last letters, couldn't believe it when I found it in the dirt though! I think again, might have been dropped by my grandfather who owned the house originally, Dare say its worth nothing but interesting none the less!

I've got a couple too, from my dad.

Very similar but with a tin opener instead of the 2nd blade.

It looks like yours has been modified with a pin to allow a quick blade opening (and cut!)

Nice find!

MT

Your Jack knife was made from 1905 until being phased out in 1938. The scales could be horn and the leaf shaped blade with the peg is the canopener, drive the point of the blade into can then the peg rests on the rim and you joggle it around the edge. As to being issued in the 1970, not likelyin UK . Canada still produced jack knives with this type of canopener well into the 1960 but the knives were all metal. John,

Your Jack knife was made from 1905 until being phased out in 1938. The scales could be horn and the leaf shaped blade with the peg is the canopener, drive the point of the blade into can then the peg rests on the rim and you joggle it around the edge. As to being issued in the 1970, not likelyin UK . Canada still produced jack knives with this type of canopener well into the 1960 but the knives were all metal. John,

Horn sounds more likely its brown almost black, when you get the sun on it, it has the lighter brown pattern showing through in places. I not questioning anyone, but I would have expected later ones to be wood or another readily available material?

I would have guessed it was wartime, only because, the house has been in our family since 1950's sometime, and my grandparents were the only people with a military background, they had a lot of kit from the war, that the kept and carried on using as the saw no value in it. One that springs to mind immediately is my Gran's old '42 medic bag she used for clothes pegs. :D

I bought one of these new in about 1970....[/quote Really, you amaze me seeing that the production of this style of jack knife with a copper shackle finished in 1938, the official pattern code for the knife in question is 6353/1905. After 1938 the smaller jackknife with the chequered black Bexoid scales and a completly different style of can opener. If you had a brand new one in 1970 I would love to see a picture of it, John

I have one similar to that shown by schliesser92, it is dated 1983 and manufactured by Rogers of Sheffield. I also have a 2008 version which has a longer shackle and the main blade locks open, but there is no manufacturer's name etched anywhere.

This one has the 2 blades like yours, the main one is about 4" and small one is 2" knife is about 5" overall and has a 4" spike? finish looks almost like bone with a copper loop? I can just about make out 'SCOTIA' then below 'J.MC GLOR' then just 'SHEFFIELD' corrosion has set into fairly badly and I cant see the last letters, couldn't believe it when I found it in the dirt though! I think again, might have been dropped by my grandfather who owned the house originally, Dare say its worth nothing but interesting none the less!
The makers name on your knife is J. MCCLORY, scotia is their trade mark, John.