Fox Tracta Joints.

m151tx

HI Guys.

Does anyone have any experience of working on Fox tracta joints.

The front right wheel has a real severe wobble (looks like clown car) that i.s real pronounced at times

I am about to pull the Front Hub apart and was wondering if there is anything to watch out for etc or any secrets to getting it done :)

Thanks

Mark witham

Does anyone have any experience of working on Fox tracta joints.

The front right wheel has a real severe wobble (looks like clown car) that i.s real pronounced at times

I am about to pull the Front Hub apart and was wondering if there is anything to watch out for etc or any secrets to getting it done

Mark,

Do you have a knocking noise as well as the visual wobble, especially when the steering is on lock? If it is not something simple like loose wheel nuts, bent rim, etc, then it could be a wheel bearing loose or collapsed, or a tracta joint that is siezing. Drive it around on lock, and listen for noises. When a joint has got a sieze, it semi welds to the other part, ending with a hole on one and a pimple on the other part, if the joint is moved of the normal line of drive to say a slight lock, then the pimple will ride out of the hole and the shaft rotation can be "notchy", ........a possible cause.

I worked on Foxs (along with all the other vehicles that Her Majesty had), from when they entered service around 1975 to there demise around 1994.

Richard

Hi Guys.

Will be getting it out of the shop Thursday, will try what you suggested and will see what is going on. It seems to track ok and I dont remember any noises but will have a closer look this time. I only really noticed it when we were unloading it sometime ago and its been sitting since. Now the temp in Texas is reasonable we can work on the armor.

Thanks for advice, would be nice not to have to rip into that thing, will post a follow up.

All the best

Mark