DUKW photo

antarmike

Yup,

Glynn Hewitt used to recondition the INSTOW DUKWS when they needed it. He used that work to source a lot of genuine parts and re-make more - including the first run of 11:00 x 18 tyres and stuff like that.

Gordon

One of them, I think there are two still left, has a Cummins in it and is totally useless. The other one is fitted with a Bedford 330 and works very well. It is not my opinion of the Cummins but the actual driver and I put it very politely compared to his description of it.

• 2 years later...
I saw an Instow DUKW in the Dordogne last year:wow:[ATTACH=CONFIG]42932[/ATTACH]

That you did! It is mine & is seen here in my garden - you should have popped in & had a drink! This DUKW has had a few adventures since this photo was taken. I have moved house to a place about 3 kms away & the DUKW has been moved to a metal fabricators in a nearby town by low loader from where it was stolen! Its whereabouts are known & the gendarmes are investigating.

Funnily enough, I used to have a very nice & original DUKW in the late 90's which I had to sell due to financial problems. It was bought by Rex Ward & I gather it then went to the Royal Marines to replace a DUKW which had been retired & it may be that the DUKW pictured is that very one, in which case the Marines got a good deal. The story does not end here but as this case is still subject to investigation I cannot say more yet.

Old thread, but 2 things:

1. There seems to be a 'not very subtle' difference between the 6B (non-turbo) and the 330. The 330 governor is generally lazy in responding to demand, consequently it allows revs to drop a lot more than the 6B before it tries to pick up. Result? Speed drops, however the good old 330 keeps plodding away but now with reduced ability to pick up speed under load. The 6B governor has much more instant response, allowing revs to be maintained. I know which I'd prefer......

2. That PSP is identical to the wartime pattern with one exception - the large (3"?) hole, instead of being punched right out, is merely indented and has 3 smaller holes punched right through. I think it must be a postwar pattern, I have a quantity which must have been in a salty environment (Falklands maybe??).

That is a weird style of PSP standing beside it

R

old thread comment.... but I know the answer......its French PSP

the part where the hole is full size is for the psp mounts normally one at each end. If short like this example, one end is in a saddle and the other has the psp mount

PS I hope the investigation goes well

Edited by fesm_ndt

Mmm. I've only just noticed Mike that this short length has a central hole cut out full diameter 4th in from each end, what you call a PSP mount. The ones I have are full length sheets and do not have this feature.

What do you mean by 'PSP mount'?