MOT every two years?

LarryH57

When I took my Lwt for its MOT recently the garage was covered with posters say 'No to MOTs every 2 Years!'

This is the first time I had heard that the Government was proposing that owners only had to get their vehicles tested less frequently.

Has anything been said about it regarding MVs (assuming your vehicle is not exempt)?

When I took my Lwt for its MOT recently the garage was covered with posters say 'No to MOTs every 2 Years!'

This is the first time I had heard that the Government was proposing that owners only had to get their vehicles tested less frequently.

Has anything been said about it regarding MVs (assuming your vehicle is not exempt)?

This idea was first raised by the government in 2005. The motor trade are against it, for obvious reasons of reduced trade, but also on safety grounds, where some vehicles could travel a high mileage between tests, and have little service or checks during that period.

Hi all,

Here in France, the controle technique is a two-yearly event already, at a cost of 80 euros (for us Brits initially, 6 euros less for the French;extra paperwork, I am told)), with only the vans having to do a pollution test every year at a reduced cost of around 30 euros.

However, my experience is, that they are very tough.

The ct report, whether you pass or not, unlike the UK MOT, shows all the faults found, although these may not be safety-based ,so you don't have to do anything about them to get the 'ticket'.

It is useful though, as you tend to check these out and fix them anyway!

An opportunity to thank everyone for providing an informative and knowledgeable forum.

I will now go back to (w)racking my brains to think of some question on Humbers that Clive 'FV1609' can't answer!

Regards to all,

Mike.

this is what we really need. And this applies to all non working vehicles, not commercially worked vehicles which should come under a different banner. it should apply to all ex military vehicles.

All vehicles not used for commercial purposes, and not used as daily transport with limited mileage of say 7000 miles should be exempt tax and test. But should have a bi annual road safety check...this check being a simplified MOT.

Road safety test.

Brake test. Does it stop in a safe and orderly manner.

Steering is okay

Mechanical overview.

lights work as fitted

Seat belts if fitted

do we really need much more...i understand we can go through a thorough check but some of our trucks would not pass an MOT brand new let alone 10 20 30 or even 50 years later...my zil 131's 60's and 70's trucks that work fine...but they would not pass an MOT I am sure..

simple...if the vehicle is used for other uses ie daily commutes or actual work then all current rules should apply...

Talks I had with DfT made it clear DfT wanted to keep annual testing and were categorically against longer period between tests, even for vehicles doing low mileage. They argue that vehicles doing low milage are more likely to suffer corrosion and perishing and that annual testing was required for all vehicles.

Interesting Mike. With regards to another thread that we were all concerned about. Remember the New legislation implementation thread? I recall one of the sub sections proposed was about overwidth vehicle banning recomendations.(Or words to that effect!) The 'Government Reps' said that this was all about bringing us into line with EU legislation. Well, If they want to strenuously keep annual testing. & the EU has Bi-Annual testing, Does that not go contradict what they have said? How can 'THEY' say that 'THEY' want to keep Annual testing if it clashes with the EU Ruling of Bi-Annualy? I would suggest that this statement from them smacks of 'Pick & mix' When it suits THEM. But according to the previous statement from 'THEM' we HAVE to fall inline with EU Legislation! Or am I missing something here? (Or a bit 'Fick!) :red:

Because another section of EU Law is, The other EU coutries CAN have Handguns & Semi-Auto rifles over .22" Calibre. If we are ALL in the EU & 'APPANTLY' ALL members have to 'fall inline' with common ruling. How come we STILL are not allowed to own & shoot these class of Weapons, & own them Privately?... (OOPPS! Sorry if this has opened a can of Worms, BUT, isnt it a valid point?)...:-X

Interesting Mike. With regards to another thread that we were all concerned about. Remember the New legislation implementation thread? I recall one of the sub sections proposed was about overwidth vehicle banning recomendations.(Or words to that effect!) The 'Government Reps' said that this was all about bringing us into line with EU legislation. Well, If they want to strenuously keep annual testing. & the EU has Bi-Annual testing, Does that not go contradict what they have said? How can 'THEY' say that 'THEY' want to keep Annual testing if it clashes with the EU Ruling of Bi-Annualy? I would suggest that this statement from them smacks of 'Pick & mix' When it suits THEM. But according to the previous statement from 'THEM' we HAVE to fall inline with EU Legislation! Or am I missing something here? (Or a bit 'Fick!) :red:

Because another section of EU Law is, The other EU coutries CAN have Handguns & Semi-Auto rifles over .22" Calibre. If we are ALL in the EU & 'APPANTLY' ALL members have to 'fall inline' with common ruling. How come we STILL are not allowed to own & shoot these class of Weapons, & own them Privately?... (OOPPS! Sorry if this has opened a can of Worms, BUT, isnt it a valid point?)...:-X

taking guns off law abiding enthusiasts including our world class shooting teams, has stopped the criminal world from using guns...hasnt it...NOT, and for the same reason its nothing to do with the reasons they give re road laws, its about keeping jobs and cash coming in, this then justifies their own existence...its power in the wrong hands I am afraid...

actually I should add that the reasons behind the gun law were typical labour government knee jerk reaction to a sobbing mother...sad for the mum but not the answer to the problem...as to vehicle safety it is fair to say that unloved vehicles on the road can cause trouble...are any of our vehicles unloved, I guess so but do we use these, I know there are bound to be some who abuse the rules but the tests will not remove these people from the system...it is the same fact as above, the rules only affect the honest and decent, they rarely have any effect on the true evaders and dangerous ones..

New laws do not make the people honest...nor do they make the world a safer place..some think so but it does not...history has shown that contrary to all government attitude, laws just punish they do not teach educate or change opinion. the effort the government puts into telling people the law is in place is more effective than the law itself...and please dont ask me to start giving examples I could go on for an age...

However I do not vote for a lawless society, but we do not need some 75% of the current statue book

should add sorry OFF SOAP BOX NOW...

Edited by paulob1

I believe the EU 2 year thing is a MINIMUM period - countries are permitted to set the time period shorter should they wish, but not extend it.

(Wasn't the MOT exemption for some categories of vintage vehicles clashing with some other EU stuff, but the Govt has kept it anyway?)

paul, very well put. It's an old chesnut im afraid, the Government will do what IT wants & not really what the electroate want as a whole. They will tell you ANYTHING to get in Power, & once in. you can go to the wall! (In a nutshell) I totaly agree, we cannot possibly live in a Society has Lawlessness. BUT, the Government does what IT wants & does not listen to the Electortate Proper. IE: It ACTS in the NAME of the public. But it does what IT wants in the name of the Government! Commonesense does Nt come into it! :nut: Stopping now before my Pressure reliefe valve blows!.......Lol! :D

Personaly, I see an Annual MOT as a Reasonable thing to be in place. However, the types of vehicle we restore, are frequently better than new. IF, I may use that term! In which case a FAIR & reasonable REDUCED fee should be levied at that area. BUT, as we all know, there are SOME 'Restored, or Preserved' types that would DEFINATELY be in need of an Annual MOT!

To Balance this requirement would be a VERY difficult thing enforce & Implement. No Matter What area of legislation in place, there will ALWAYS be an example of something slipping through the net. Or being an oddity that does not fall in one Catagory of another. So, i guess it is something we will all have to live with, like it or not!.....:-(

Personaly, I see an Annual MOT as a Reasonable thing to be in place. However, the types of vehicle we restore, are frequently better than new. IF, I may use that term! In which case a FAIR & reasonable REDUCED fee should be levied at that area. BUT, as we all know, there are SOME 'Restored, or Preserved' types that would DEFINATELY be in need of an Annual MOT!

To Balance this requirement would be a VERY difficult thing enforce & Implement. No Matter What area of legislation in place, there will ALWAYS be an example of something slipping through the net. Or being an oddity that does not fall in one Catagory of another. So, i guess it is something we will all have to live with, like it or not!.....:-(

we are the people, not VOSA, not the DVLA, you can see what power the people have with the things going on in the Middle east and North Africa...there is no need for an MOT annually on a vehicle that does less than 5000 miles a year...even 10,000 is nothing for most of our toys...if we the people want to make it so, then dont think that we have to 'live with it like it or not,' at all, we can make change happen...

we are the people, not VOSA, not the DVLA, you can see what power the people have with the things going on in the Middle east and North Africa...there is no need for an MOT annually on a vehicle that does less than 5000 miles a year...even 10,000 is nothing for most of our toys...if we the people want to make it so, then dont think that we have to 'live with it like it or not,' at all, we can make change happen...

I will leave that one to you then. Off you go then paul!..........:thumbsup:

I do not have a problem with an annual MOT, not everybody maintains their vehicles properly regardless of age or mileage. Many people rely on the MOT failure to tell them they need headlight bulbs or the steel belting is showing on their tyres. These are in the majority and sadly you have to legislate for the idiot majority.

The only objection I have is that cars under 3 years are exempt, and I know of some with high mileage that have never had an oil change or service, but they are obviously safe as they are "new".

Mike

There is nothing wrong with a bi annual MOT. Canada doesn't even have MOT's. They require a safety inspection if they are sold, but after that they are MOT free. France seems to manage on 2 yearly MOT's and we are supposed to be towing the line with the rest of Europe (or so i thought).

Every vehicle still needs to be roadworthy regardless of MOT being yearly or 2 yearly. Nothing stopping plod pulling you over if you have a dodgy looking vehicle.

There is nothing wrong with a bi annual MOT. Canada doesn't even have MOT's. They require a safety inspection if they are sold, but after that they are MOT free. France seems to manage on 2 yearly MOT's and we are supposed to be towing the line with the rest of Europe (or so i thought).

Every vehicle still needs to be roadworthy regardless of MOT being yearly or 2 yearly. Nothing stopping plod pulling you over if you have a dodgy looking vehicle.

If only they would.

Headlights looking for Luftwaffe air raids (70 years late).

Fog lights on 24/7 or so they can see at night when headlight bulbs are blown.

Sat navs stuck to windscreens in wiper sweep.

Phones attached to hand and ear.

Seat belts, who needs them.

Illegal modified number plates.

Ultra low profile tyres (flat)

Who needs light lenses.

Oh yeah speed cameras stop all the traffic accidents as none of the above count.

Mike

now now Mike, we all know speed cameras are for our own good...and whilst they dont save lives or reduce accidents, they increase the cash in the governments coffers so that they can spend it on other things...all for the good of the people...you can see where this country is heading, i already have my vehicles...

re-supply, ural, zil, star, berliet, daf, foden

artillery fh77

APC tracks 432 and MTLB

engineering support 434

APC wheeled Saracen

just a few more to go and i am ready for anarchy and the revolution

If only you could speed in a Series 3 Land Rover.

Mike

yes you try it in a zil 131 too, 45mph down hill...and a stalwart is better at stopping than it ever was at going...24 pistons all pushing on the wheel discs to make it stop and stop it does...mind you if you take your foot off the accelerator it stops about as quick anyway...

No you miss the point 'we the people' not me the people, we already have dictators under the name of democracy...but i know what you mean, if only we really could effect proper change...

Paul, No Sir, I didnt miss the point. My stance is, WE (All of us Generally) are very good in this country with regards to complaining about things. (It is a National Pastime!) BUT, when it comes to action, Sadly, we are want to take a step back & let someone else lead the way. Nobody wants to be seen to 'Start Anthing'. We as a Nation have been castigated by the 'Political Correctness' Brigade, & the Tree & Bunny Huggers. Also the NIMBYs play a large part. To the extent that People in General, are Concerned as to not be seen as 'Dissenters, & trouble makers's by those in positions of Power & Authority. It is my expierience after talking to a large contingent of the public at Bootfairs for example. That the majority of us have VERY similar outlooks, ideas & Opinions as to the unfairness of certain Laws & Government policies. BUT, are frightend to stand up & be seen to lead the way. For Fear of being seen as a 'Trouble maker, or Dissenter'. Sad, but true.......Anyway, lets move off that one now. Anybody fancy starting a Revolution?............INCOMING!............:-D