When is C1+E Exceeded

C is now from 3.5 tons up to maximum permissible, rigid the old Class 2

C1 is the old up to 7.5 tonnes, I have that as my licence was in the steam age.

C1+E means I can tow a trialer

C+E is now C plus trailer, the old Class1

D is any vehcile with more than 16 seats , including driver P.C.V.

D1 is up to sixteen seats including driver, again the old classes.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/hgv-maximum-weights-a-brief-guide.pdf

max weight in holland is 40 tonnes before a permit is needed to go more heavy then 40 tonnes.

it also requires a diffirent licence to be driving that.

i am happy with my class 2 licence and when i am living in the uk, or driving my rig through the uk i need to apply to the max weight allowed on uk roads. uk rigs can't do 40 tonnes on dutch roads unless vehicle documentation states other wise, and only for cabotage in holland.

and for fun:

our 101fc ambulance is 3500 combined,

is allowed to tow 750kg unbraked and 3500kg braked.

the fun starts with making your own hitch construction and it needs a test plate that states the safe operation weight.

unless one pays a fortune, you cant ever legaly tow 3500kg even when stated on the vehicle documentation given out by the government we can.

fun bit two.

our load limits are also on that vehicle documentation aswell.

if the plate states 750kg limit in the cab, and my dutch v5c states 1000kg for a series 2a land-rover, will they keep it 1000kg on the vehicle plate when i import it to the uk? i mean replate it as 1000kg.

I'm working very hard to get my C license before January as then they will introduce the C1 category. If I pass before January it means I don't need to worry about C1 since I then have C.

I am wondering if you automatically get C1 when you gave C and thus can get C1E which should be easier then getting CE.

joris, if you pass your C licence in holland, you get the C1 with it. i even have code 95 on both.

i want to get my C+E aswell, as it is handy, then i should get C+E C1+E and B+E too.

if you want your trailer licence with C keep in mind your theory certificates are valid for two years.

cheers,

Arjan

Trailer license for C is just too expensive. Starts at €2k and you learn stuff I never need, like backing up a 16m trailer to a dockshelter. Justifying the expense for C is hard enough as I'm using a chunk of my savings.

1700 euro they told me. i bump in to the same problems. C was given to me with code 95 for re education purpose as i battle disability, and i cant ever afford the E bit on my own. to keep my hobby of military vehicles i used what little i had to keep my storage.

i just gave it as a tip. and you probably do not need the code 95 bit so its cheaper.

cheers and hope you pass in one hit.

<snip> So is this right to current licences:

B are vehicles upto 3500Kg

C1 are vehicles between 3500Kg and 7500Kg

C are vehicles over 7500Kg but upto what ?

C1+E with code 107 vehicles upto 7500Kg towing upto 8250Kg GTW. Without code 107 towing upto 12000Kg GTW

C+E are vehicles over 7500Kg and towing with a GTW over 12000Kg but up to what ?

That is my understanding, noting also that B and C1+E with code (107) don't need a medical and hence don't need renewing every five years from age 45, whilst C1+E (no code 107), C, and C+E do.

As far as this question....

C+E are vehicles over 7500Kg and towing with a GTW over 12000Kg but up to what ?

... goes, I don't think there is an upper limit as far as the licence is concerned; there is no "higher" licence. Cat C+E will allow you to drive the largest and heaviest combinations permitted on the road, which is usually around 44 tonnes. The actual legal limit applies to the vehicle and is set out in the C&U Regs and the Authorisation of Special Types Regs.

So as far as a licence is concerned holding C+E would allow you to drive something like ALE's Unipower MH8875 with 150 tons on the back. I doubt they'd let you , though!

To clear this up I have checked on the direct.gov website (see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_201207 for more info).

Under the current rules you require a medical to obtain a Cat C or D based licence and your licence is then valid until your 45th birthday. From your 45th to 65th birthdays the licence is valid for 5 years only, and from your 65th birthday onwards it is valid 1 year only. Each time you renew it you require a medical exam.

The rules are however changing from 19th January 2013 after which all new C or D based licences will be valid for a maximum of 5 years only. The requirement for the initial medical exam is unchanged, thereafter to renew them prior to your 45th birthday you will be required to provide a declaration that you meet the medical standards (note, exam not required). From 45 to 65 you will require a medical exam to renew, and there is no mention of what happens after 65, so presumably it remains an annual licence.

If you already have a C and/or D based licence the new rules will appply to you from the next time your licence needs to be renewed.

It seems that there are several changes coming in on this date which affect a wide range of different categories and overall make the licence even more complicated than it was before.

The text below is copied from the direct.gov page linked above and is the stuff concerning C and D based categories:

New drivers passing a driving test from 19 January 2013

If you pass your driving test in categories C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E, after 19 January 2013 you'll receive a licence valid for five years.

Every five years up to age 45, you'll need to sign a declaration to confirm that you still meet the medical standards.

After age 45, you'll need to provide a medical examination report every five years to renew your driving entitlement

Existing minibus, bus and lorry drivers

Drivers under 45 years old

If you passed a driving test in one of the categories below, you'll come under the new rules when you renew your driving licence.

The categories affected are C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E.

When you renew your licence, you'll receive a licence that is valid for five years. Every time you renew it, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will need you to confirm that you still meet the medical standards.

If you apply to replace your licence because it is lost/stolen, or your personal details have changed, your new licence will run until the end of your original period. However, if you update your photo at the same time, you'll come under the new five-year rule.

Drivers over 45 years old

Drivers over 45 will continue to renew their entitlement as they do now.

When you renew your licence at the end of a five-year period, you'll be renewing your driving entitlement. You'll need to provide a medical examination report.