tomorrows explorer job

scammell 7377

Question

having seen the you tube link in recovery and towing of the pioneer recovering a ditched tank the winch rope is run out by 1 man with little effort so should i be able to pull out the rope on my mk 1 explorer ?the hand brake linkage is all taken apart cleaned up and greased but still no joy so i then took the brake band completly off = still no joy with the left hand cover removed it needs a longish bar on the winch frame and to the large gear to get it to move it has had little use over the years so might it be a case of plenty of grease and run the cable in and out thanks andy

10 answers to this question

It should run out fairly easily, can be done by one man once the stickshion has been overcome.

Something that caught me out was that the winch drive can get full of water, either from condensation or down the shaft.

The oil floats on the water making it look full through the filler plug, if you haven't already, best to drain and refill, as the water may be the only lubricant, making it a bit stiff!

well thanks for that i took the filler plug out before takeing the drain plug out and a pint of yellow/ brown sludge came out the top ive now flushed it out and refilled and greased everything to death but it still cant be pulled out on my own so i think i need to pull all the rope out and back in a few times and see if that gets it all moving other than that is it possable the spring loaded arms that coil the rope be gripping the drum too tightly and stopp it turning ? andy

well thanks for that i took the filler plug out before takeing the drain plug out and a pint of yellow/ brown sludge came out the top ive now flushed it out and refilled and greased everything to death but it still cant be pulled out on my own so i think i need to pull all the rope out and back in a few times and see if that gets it all moving other than that is it possable the spring loaded arms that coil the rope be gripping the drum too tightly and stopp it turning ? andy

The spring loaded arms may be ok but the rollers on the end can seize and may cause more drag mate ! You can lever the arms away from the winch wire on mine but there is nothing surrounding the winch at the moment so it makes access easier ! ie no cab or lockers ! :D Good luck with your Explorer !

Hi Andy.

Have you checked the center pin and bushes on the drum. i can't remember if there are greasing points on the bush housings. if you have checked the arms and drive box are ok, this could be the problem.

hope this helps.

Clive

Once everything is lubed pull the cable all the way out, but remember to set the serving gear timing before you wind it in again., I can manage to drag mine out on my own, but I find that storing the last bit of cable round to the front fairleads gives you about 20 feet of rope to get hold of to start with.

Edited by croc

Can't pull mine out either without the use of a landy (mind you i've only botherd to do once in order to re-time the serving gear. I know mine had a rather hard few years pulling bulldozers off the council tip. It seems the winch drum rubs on the pressure springs under the drum as if the drum has dropped a tad. However all the gears line up ok but the whole winch looks as if it has moved in the chassis. I need to compare it to another scammell at a show sometime. I only have two pressure roller arms on mine as one has been bent and mangeled, probrobly due to the serving gear being out of time. I don't think i can remove the arm with the winch in the chassis:embarrassed: It seems to work ok with two rollers:undecided:

There are grease points top and bottom on the main winch shaft. I use oil on all my lubrication points as stated in the manual cos even modern greases dry out (yes really, they do come and look at our cranes and hoists if you like i can show you lots of dry grease) but thats another thread and another dedate:coffee:

having changed the oils and fully greased it all i pulled the rope out around 40 ft or so 3 times there apears to be times when it is a little freer but then stiffens up again and the grease coming out is very thin and runny but i ran out of time so im thinking i just need to find a place to run the whole rope out and grease grease grease i held the pressure arms off and made no difference the rollers all turn nicely

Lots of years ago we had A martian artilary tractor we used for recovery. When we first got it the winch was that tight that we had to use another wrecker to winch to get rope out (yes it was in Freewheel). We tried allsorts to free of drum pulling rope out and winching full length many times. We eventually tied the tensioners back and took the rope of completely and left the truck running all afternoon in third gear lubricating every so oftence. This made a lot better but still not good. then one of the lads who worked for us spotted a grease nipple on a casting assosiated with the shaft that went up with little gear on it that drove the main ring gear the dog clutch engage on to it. Sorry if this all sounds a little vague but was a long time ago. we greased this ran it up again for 10 min and it was perfect. Never had problems again. I think the scammell uses same winch? so might be problem is same place.