Destroyer to Liberty Ship in 2 easy steps, Converting the Fletcher Class Destroyer

Here's an interesting little work project I've got on at present. I've been commissioned to build a large N scale railway set during World War 2. Part of the layout will be a quayside with a Destroyer in dry dock and a Liberty Ship unloading goods. Since no suitable Liberty ship kits were available, I decided to kit bash the Revell 1/144 scale Fletcher class Destroyer.

The customer was happy so long as it looked the part, it didn't need to be millimetre accurate. Using the kit allowed me to use the hull, props, anchors, guns, railings and funnel, saving me a huge amount of time by not having to scratch build them. I've also added a 'Hurricat' on the bow for added interest, using the Sweet Hurricane kit.

My thread title says it was all done in two easy steps. They were:- Leave off everything that wasn't Liberty Ship shaped, and make all the bits that I needed to make it Liberty Ship shaped!

ship106.jpg

launch7.jpg

Here's how it all began, with the Destroyer kit.

ship1.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep
Thread Title Change to reflect ongoing content

Since Destroyers are fairly narrow, the hull needed bulking out a bit, so a 1 1/4 inch strip was added along the centre line, and the bow and stern pulled in. The remaining triangle space was then filled with styrene. The sides of the ship were also raised in height by 3/4 of an inch.

Most of the basic structure done.

ship50.jpg

A couple of close up pictures of the Hurricat and launch ramp.

ship94.jpg

ship95.jpg

I've been around the SS Jeremiah O'Brien in SF, great experiance, the engine room was a wonder, just down the pier they have a WW2 US Sub that has been in a few movies, it is still floating so when you're inside and a boat goes past it rolls, that was much more atmospheric than the British WW2 Sub in Portsmouth (forget the name) on a concrete plinth that we visited a couple of years before.

Excellent Ship by the way, it will be nice the see it in the diorama setting.

Edited by ajmac

I've been around the SS Jeremiah O'Brien in SF, great experiance, the engine room was a wonder, just down the pier they have a WW2 US Sub that has been in a few movies, it is still floating so when you're inside and a boat goes past it rolls, that was much more atmospheric than the British WW2 Sub in Portsmouth (forget the name) on a concrete plinth that we visited a couple of years before.

Excellent Ship by the way, it will be nice the see it in the diorama setting.

Hi there, where is the US Sub, UK? I went aboard the U-Boat In Birkenhead before it was cut up, and three U-Boats in Germany. (HMS Alliance in Portsmouth).

The US sub is on the same pier as the Liberty ship in San Francisco. IIRC it can and does still move under it's own diesel power, possibly just in SF bay though. Also went around the USS Hornet which is or was back in 2000 in long term storage the deck was covered in tar and plywood, all the hatches were sealed shut and painted with the date they were sealed. Some areas had been opened up and you could go down on the hanger deck and see where the apollo guys stepped aboard back in 1969 when they were picked up. Well worth a visit.

The US sub is on the same pier as the Liberty ship in San Francisco. IIRC it can and does still move under it's own diesel power, possibly just in SF bay though. Also went around the USS Hornet which is or was back in 2000 in long term storage the deck was covered in tar and plywood, all the hatches were sealed shut and painted with the date they were sealed. Some areas had been opened up and you could go down on the hanger deck and see where the apollo guys stepped aboard back in 1969 when they were picked up. Well worth a visit.

One to visit in the future when I win the lottery or stop spending on military junk (the missus words).

http://www.uss-hornet.org/

excellent bit of kit bashing.

my friend has one of those destroyers, bought when it was the old lindberg model, it is still unopened.

wonder if he will sell me it.

I have one of those I do a bit put it back in the box for awhile when I've had enough and then bring it out again when I feel like it. I have a Corvette HMS Snowberry to build as well not started that yet though.

Edited by ferrettkitt

• 1 month later...