Fox Green

handler 69

Many many years ago I read that before my time it was normal in BAOR to repaint armoured vehicles gloss deep bronze green after the exercise season and before any parades, then repaint them olive / black before the next exercise season.

But I read that before I joined up in 1975, so don't ask me where I read it.

I have found some pics of the Fox in that colour scheme, they are in QOY in Germany, they also have the running Fox badge on one side. Anyway my lad now is in that deep green colour.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this choice...he does look handsome though :D

R0013173.jpg

Hello Handler69, The Fox in the photo belonged to the Queens Own Yeomanry (QOY) which is the T.A.s only armoured reconnaissence regiment. If the photo was taken in Germany then it must have been on one of their annual camps as at the time they used Foxes there were 3 squadrons, Y squadron, based in York, C squadron based in Chester, and A squadron based in Ayr. The running Fox badge should have the word 'FORRAD' on the scroll under the fox. My father served with Y squadron for a considerable time, retiring in the 1980s and still joins them on their camps at the age of 84. the squadron commander of C squadron was Gerry Grosvenor better known as the Duke of Westminster, who joined as a trooper, and deliberately flunked his sergeants exam on several occasionsas he enjoyed being a trooper, the powers that be decided that a Duke should not be an ordinary soldier and gave him a commision which he could not refuse. He is currently a Brigadier.

Edited by johnwardle
typo

Can anyone identify the stowage bin on the rear of the turret, looks like a sensible modification.

R

Its the otics bin though we were only ever issued one per troop so we used then to store the cam nets in.

Also on the side of it we use to hang the don 10 reel and have a old cheftain bin on the other side of it for the 17kg gas bottle.

Oh and they normally looked like this

germanyex5.jpg

Edited by cpltomo

Great pics there mate, I now know how to load up "Basil" when I get him going again :blush:

Wouldn't it off been better to get the Fox running before painting (not sure how you broke it?).. it's not going to do the paint much good if you have to start pulling the armour off.. they do make a good gate guards though ;)