DSG CVR(T) Rebuild Video

sirhc

Nice video, I wish my Pinz would speed up like that :D

I was a bit amused when I saw they were using newspapers for the large area masking as I just bought today a big roll of brown paper so I dont have to tape heaps of small bits together and use up all the masking tape.

Fab link Chris..

Time lapse on a normal day at the shed for me would involve arriving, spending at least an hour and a half grubbing about trying to find the bits I need, quick cup of tea, refind the bits I need having put them down and forgotten where they are, spend one hour undoing 2 bolts due to their lack of accessibility, nother quick cuppa, finally remove the part in question, spot of lunch and gossip about latest withams tender, refit part, spend 30 mins looking for bolts as forgot where I put them, fit bolts, nother cuppa, repack car, change into spare clothes and put working clothes in bin as that is now all they are good for, head for home and look forward to next trip...

By comparison with this vid my rebuilds move in geological time !!

Fascinating! :-)

Should “48 AT 12” ever appear in Withams yard, I do not think I would have any reservations about buying it!

Does anyone know if a different type of engine is installed . . . diesel maybe? :undecided:

I tried “freeze-framing” it at the appropriate times . . .

I did not recognise the rocker-cover on the engine that came out as being a Jaguar item. Unless it was removed between frames, the engine that came out did not have a turbo-charger.

However, that engine that went in did appear to have a turbo-charger fitted - on the left of the engine.

Fascinating! :-)

Should “48 AT 12” ever appear in Withams yard, I do not think I would have any reservations about buying it!

Does anyone know if a different type of engine is installed . . . diesel maybe? :undecided:

I tried “freeze-framing” it at the appropriate times . . .

I did not recognise the rocker-cover on the engine that came out as being a Jaguar item. Unless it was removed between frames, the engine that came out did not have a turbo-charger.

However, that engine that went in did appear to have a turbo-charger fitted - on the left of the engine.

I have 48AT14, which last went through that process in 1997. It could do with a tidy up again now.

The J60 has been out of service for 6 or so years now. The remaining CVRT fleet went through the Life Extension Programme (Deisel) and are called CVR(T)LEP(D). The engine is a 5.9 Cummins 6BTA.

Chris

IMG_0741.jpg

Edited by sirhc

I have 48AT14, which last went through that process in 1997. It could do with a tidy up again now.

The J60 has been out of service for 6 or so years now. The remaining CVRT fleet went through the Life Extension Programme (Deisel) and are called CVR(T)LEP(D). The engine is a 5.9 Cummins 6BTA.

Chris

IMG_0741.jpg

Thanks for that reply Chris.

As you will presumably wish to have a “matching-pair”, I will leave the way clear for you to purchase “48 AT 12”, should it ever appear in Withams yard! :-)

Thanks for that reply Chris.

As you will presumably wish to have a “matching-pair”, I will leave the way clear for you to purchase “48 AT 12”, should it ever appear in Withams yard! :-)

We could have had a matching pair in 2005 when 48AT13 went through the tender!

48AT13.jpg

Chris

You got any more pics from that tender - although a long shot i think that could be my Spartan in the background 48AT85...?

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

No photos from that tender with your Spartan - but it looks like it could be the same one.

(also pictured here http://www.marcusglenn.com/vehicles.htm)

Chris

Tim,

No photos from that tender with your Spartan - but it looks like it could be the same one.

(also pictured here http://www.marcusglenn.com/vehicles.htm)

Chris

No worries - the 654 states 4/6/04 for release from ABRO Stirling as was, so Iguess the timing is about right..

That photo from Marcus' website was my first view of it - tbh never having bought a military vehicle before I just thought the scheme was a bit unusual, which it is ! Thankfully Marcus is a top guy and gave me lots of help, as well as free bits such as a full set of spare roadwheels, filters, and various CES bits, which in restrospect was flippin good of him.. I still buy bits off him, sometimes even if I can get them cheaper elsewhere - service like that is worth paying for.

Hmmm that jig looks pretty good - didn't Adrian B make one of these for Dave Arnold ? Wonder what a CVRT one would cost - and could it be adapted to fit all the variants ?

Cheers

No worries - the 654 states 4/6/04 for release from ABRO Stirling as was, so Iguess the timing is about right..

Tim,

ABRO Stirling did the stripping before they went to Withams, sich as Messier dampers, optics etc. All of ours went through there. I have a copy of the job card for 03FD84, they stripped 170 of them!

Chris