6V jump start question

Chaps,

If you have a 6V vehicle and you are in the middle with no tools is it possible to jump start of 12V? How would you do it (bearing in mind things like ignition coils, starter motor etc run off 6V).

I would assume you would disconnect one of the 6V battery terminals so as not to connect the 12V jump battery across it?? but then what (oh yes, leave the lights off and do not apply the brakes!!!)

Jon

Do not run the 12v vehicle during the process, this will stop the 6v battery recieving charging voltage from the 12v vehicle. Disconect your jump leads at the 12v battery end imediately the 6v vehicle starts, if you do not the 12v battery will start to cause the 6v battery to gas a lot increasing the risk of explosion if there are any sparks about.

Been watching this with interest as I needed to go and start the Chevy up to get some photo's for the insurance.

On the basis of your advice I took my portable starter thing with me, which I assume would be the same as using a 12V battery on a non-running vehicle.

As it happened, it fired up without any help anyway - but many thanks for the useful advice, I had been worrying what I would do if the battery had been flat!

Chaps,

Thanks again - took delivery of our 'new' CCKW at the weekend... with the cold weather, short distances and a lot of waiting around I ended up having to jump start it twice so thank goodness I asked!! :-\

Jon