ex-Scorpions' 76mm turrets - WHERE ARE THEY?

RCT(V)

Question

I understand because of the usefulness of a RARDEN 30mm equipped turret - and because of the instability of the top-heavy Fox - the Fox turret (with RARDEN 30mm cannon), were put onto the Scorpion chassis, to produce the SABRE.

All the ex-Scorpions' 76mm turrets must be sitting around somewhere, waiting for someone to come up with a good idea of how/where to use/mount them !

QUESTION: Does anyone know where the ex-Scorpions' 76mm turrets are stored?

7 answers to this question

What was the issue with the turrets?

I ask as had a good expat contact in Thailand who used to work for the supplier and he was telling me one version had issues with the recoil being transmitted to the body to a very large extent. In his words "the wheels were falling off due to the shock" and was the project he was sent there for, and never went home.

I understand because of the usefulness of a RARDEN 30mm equipped turret - and because of the instability of the top-heavy Fox - the Fox turret (with RARDEN 30mm cannon), were put onto the Scorpion chassis, to produce the SABRE.

All the ex-Scorpions' 76mm turrets must be sitting around somewhere, waiting for someone to come up with a good idea of how/where to use/mount them !

QUESTION: Does anyone know where the ex-Scorpions' 76mm turrets are stored?

I visited the depot at Luggershall back in the early 90s and there was a whole field containing the turretless Fox CVR(W) hulls. The turrets had gone to create Sabres. I was told (at the time) that there was a plan to put ex-FV432 GPMG turrets onto the Fox hulls, but aside from a couple of prototypes nothing came of that plan.

I understand that one of the reasons that the 76mm 'Scorpion' turrets were removed was the fumes inside the turret caused by firing the gun, so the turret and gun was effectively useless in service.

jch

Most of the turrets were bolted onto Foxs and disposed by the Disposal Sales Agency in the mid 1990's

Bob, do you have any further information of those?

Anything other than a much lighter LMG/GPMG turret, would result in the Fox being just as unstable as when fitted with the original 30mm RARDEN turret.

With the noxious fumes from the 76mm main armament (in the turret from the Scorpion), I can not imagine anyone seriously considering using a top-heavy 76mm Fox in a cross-country situation, or on surfaced roads where greater speeds would be possible - and a problem.

A top-heavy 76mm Fox - quite literally - must have been one “bastard” of a vehicle, and a complete waste, abuse of, the otherwise very fine Fox wheeled chassis! :mad:

However, it might possibly be an ideal candidate for collectors, and used as a static display. Hours could be spent having to explain the convoluted history/pedigree of a 76mm Fox !! :-)

However I know where four turrets are on pallets.

Please PM if of interest.

I am curious, and will send a PM. Cheers.

Bob, do you have any further information of those?

Anything other than a much lighter LMG/GPMG turret, would result in the Fox being just as unstable as when fitted with the original 30mm RARDEN turret.

With the noxious fumes from the 76mm main armament (in the turret from the Scorpion), I can not imagine anyone seriously considering using a top-heavy 76mm Fox in a cross-country situation, or on surfaced roads where greater speeds would be possible - and a problem.

A top-heavy 76mm Fox - quite literally - must have been one “bastard” of a vehicle, and a complete waste, abuse of, the otherwise very fine Fox wheeled chassis! :mad:

However, it might possibly be an ideal candidate for collectors, and used as a static display. Hours could be spent having to explain the convoluted history/pedigree of a 76mm Fox !! :-)

I am curious, and will send a PM. Cheers.

The turrets weren't actually fitted to the Fox chasiss, they were just dumped on top of them for disposal. The 4 turrets Bob is talking about were removed from vehicles cut up for spares.

Chris