Free software download.

airportable

Hi folks. A computer question. Still got a lot to learn, what I'm after is a program for windows vista where I can place a photo. and it resizes it to a smaller, so I can post on a couple of other sites. If that makes sence. Any one recommend a simple/safe download used.

Thanks,

Andy.

airportable

Had my first attempt and spoilt todays event pics:cry:

Andy- they still should be in the flash card in your camera unless you cleared it. When you download them from your camera copy a separate copy into a new file -it is simple to do click on File: new: folder: and it will make a second folder. Then copy your pics into this 2nd folder and you can do what ever you want to the pics in the original folder without the worry of destroying the originals- just like keeping the Negs safe in the old days.

The previously mentioned Micro soft Picture Manager will resize: crop: change brightness-contrast and midtones: and lots more and if you change the name in File -Save as: you will still have the original if when promted you don't save any changes to the original saved file.

Additionally anything done in Micro-Soft Picture Manager can be undone in Edit: drop- down but only as a single item -you can't undo more than one action -you can only undo the last action -if you muck it up just exit - click No: when prompted by save function and start again.

There is also Photosphop which is for the more computer literate -it's very good but for posting on forums it is not really necessary to use anything beyond Micro-soft Picture Manager -I've used it for all the pics I've posted on this forum.

Had my first attempt and spoilt todays event pics:cry:

Andy.

Sorry to hear that

Assuming you copied/moved them from the memory card, before editting, all may not be lost.

There is software available that maybe able to recover the imaged from the memory card.

Some you pay for

http://www.photosrecovery.com/

http://www.wgxe.com/photo-recovery.html

Some you can get for free

http://www.newfreedownloads.com/find/digital-image-recovery.html

No idea how well they work, but maybe worth a shot.

I have one which came with a Sandisk CF Pro card,

Deleting an image does not delete the data, a memory card is a bit like a book.

Think of it as having an index and everytime you take a picture it adds apage and notes it on the index. When you delete it you tell the index that a previously used page is blank and it notes this in the index. When you take another picture it can use that blank page.Until you do this the contents of the page normally can ge recovered.

Hence when you dispose of an old PC just deleting your bank/personal details does not destroy it as they are still there. You either need to overwrite the whole hard disk with rubbish data (several times) or remove the disk and introduce it to a very larger hammer.

Mike

if you just go into the folder, and on the left use "send to emal recipient", it should give you the option to reduce the size...it does in XP.

Mick

I know it does in XP, but it is also dependant to some extent on your email software.

I now have Windows 7 and use Windows Live Mail and this really makes a mess of things. It cropped it square and made it far to blocky to be any use.

Mike