Location of chassis number on Humber 1 Ton

fv1609

Has anyone identified the location of the chassis number stamping on a Humber 1 Ton? (I'm not talking about the chassis plate)

About 15 years ago a Pig owner told me he had located the chassis number stamped directly on the upper surface of the chassis on the nearside. Although he had never seen this on any other Humbers.

Well I have been looking ever since & not found such a stamping. As I recall he said it was halfway along the top of chassis as you look down. Obviously looking at other people's vehicles you can't take the wheel off & the engine bay side plate then start scratching at paint! But I have had 4 Humbers & found no trace of such stampings.

As I've been doing some work on the present Humber I felt determined to find a stamping but no such luck so far. Some areas of the original black paint where extremely tenacious & would not respond to paint stripper. So some areas I had to slowly sand down by hand. Staring with good illumination & magnification one can imagine seeing all manner of markings based on dents & scratches.

It would seem entirely reasonable that there should be a stamping on the chassis itself. So I wonder has anyone else found any such markings? I wonder was his chassis unusual in that it got stamped maybe in a different place from the rest of the Humbers which were stamped in a place I have yet to find?

I have never searched in such depth as the present Humber. So I wonder was it ever stamped at all? Maybe somewhere else or was the stamping on my vehicle ground off? I say that because my vehicle was originally 33274 then in 1956 became 93274.

But it should be somewhere along here!

DSCF5544.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Hi Clive , Don't know if its the same as on my Scammell but I found the chassis number stamped into the chassis immediately behind the chassis id plate ! Only noticed it because I had removed the plate and taken that part of the chassis back to bare metal ! I guess it makes it easier to be certain you are fixing the plate to the right chassis in a factory full of parts !:D

Has anyone identified the location of the chassis number stamping on a Humber 1 Ton? (I'm not talking about the chassis plate)

About 15 years ago a Pig owner told me he had located the chassis number stamped directly on the upper surface of the chassis on the off side. Although he had never seen this on any other Humbers.

Well I have been looking ever since & not found such a stamping. As I recall he said it was halfway along the top of chassis as you look down. Obviously looking at other people's vehicles you can't take the wheel off & the engine bay side plate then start scratching at paint! But I have had 4 Humbers & found no trace of such stampings.

As I've been doing some work on the present Humber I felt determined to find a stamping but no such luck so far. Some areas of the original black paint where extremely tenacious & would not respond to paint stripper. So some areas I had to slowly sand down by hand. Staring with good illumination & magnification one can imagine seeing all manner of markings based on dents & scratches.

It would seem entirely reasonable that there should be a stamping on the chassis itself. So I wonder has anyone else found any such markings? I wonder was his chassis unusual in that it got stamped maybe in a different place from the rest of the Humbers which were stamped in a place I have yet to find?

I have never searched in such depth as the present Humber. So I wonder was it ever stamped at all? Maybe somewhere else or was the stamping on my vehicle ground off? I say that because my vehicle was originally 33274 then in 1956 became 93274.

But it should be somewhere along here!

DSCF5544.jpg

That looks like the nearside chassis rail though Clive !

Hi Clive , Don't know if its the same as on my Scammell but I found the chassis number stamped into the chassis immediately behind the chassis id plate ! Only noticed it because I had removed the plate and taken that part of the chassis back to bare metal ! I guess it makes it easier to be certain you are fixing the plate to the right chassis in a factory full of parts !:D

Andy that had occurred to me. The trouble is taking the plate off to peep & trying to rivet it back on in a convincing way could cast doubt on the validity of the plate despite me knowing it is the proper plate.

Although thinking about I have seen a number of Humbers that are mysteriously devoid of their plate & I have never spotted a stamped number given that the area underneath the plate would have just the one layer of black paint.

I have removed several plates from Pigs that have reduced to a bare chassis awaiting further destruction & not spotted any stamping, although I wasn't especially looking! I've got a few plates from these & one of them was another FV1609

ScrapSP01.jpg

Edited by fv1609

That looks like the nearside chassis rail though Clive !

I was wondering who was going to spot that one first! Ah yes you are right, just corrected it. I suppose I did it because the Pig normal drives into the workshop & is reversed out. But because I didn't know quite whether I was in for a new engine, I reversed it in so that I could get at the engine bay from the doors. Just got so used to it being parked that way round:nut:

No I would be quite happy to just settle for one of you lot sending me a picture of some chassis stampings.

That's a fair one?? I was looking for the chassis number on my SIII Ltwt and thought it was on the nearside dumb iron near the spring hanger, but couldn't see it.......

If it's the Offside one then I need those wellies and bigger spectacles....or start wearing them at least.....:rotfl::banghead:

I was wondering who was going to spot that one first! Ah yes you are right, just corrected it. I suppose I did it because the Pig normal drives into the workshop & is reversed out. But because I didn't know quite whether I was in for a new engine, I reversed it in so that I could get at the engine bay from the doors. Just got so used to it being parked that way round:nut:

I didn't want you to think that your students are not paying attention venerable Humber master !:bow::bow::bow: :D

I didn't want you to think that your students are not paying attention venerable Humber master !:bow::bow::bow: :D

Look just get on with it, have a look at your chassis & Dave's as well. Then you can be first one to post a picture of Humber chassis stampings.

I haven't looked yet but wouldn't it be an irony if the stampings were actually on the off side?:nut:

I was looking for the chassis number on my SIII Ltwt and thought it was on the nearside dumb iron near the spring hanger, but couldn't see it.......

If it's the Offside one then I need those wellies and bigger spectacles....or start wearing them at least.....:rotfl::banghead:

Wellies & goggles for you then Wayne, should be RHS front spring shackle bracket.