Rubbing down markings

robin craig

Get some transparent stencil plastic and copy them. then you can just re paint.

I heard contact is also good for that as you can trace onto the paper then cut it and peel the adhesive plastic off and use that as the template

As for rubbing back:

- get somebody else to do it :D (I would be useless as my paitience would wear out first)

- thinking about it though I would guess trialling in an area where you would not expect idents as I would think knowing the number of layers of paint and colours would be useful. In this safe area could use a sanding machine to chop through and see how many coats you got

If it is tips for the rubbing you are after rather than how to copy them, then I would recommend using a craft knife to scape the layers off rather than rubbing. When I first started doing such a task I found that with all the water and pigment floating round it was very easy to go through a paint layer without realising it was there. The areas where markings might be are often logical to predict so I'm not suggesting scraping the whole vehicle down! :) Once I started careful scraping I found I could selectively expose stuff with a lot of clarity. I'd recommend a curved blade rather than a straight one, and keep it honed razor sharp with a fine stone.