Cleaning grease points

Some of my greasing points (on UJs and elsewhere) don't take any grease regardless of what I do. I know that an option is to try and heat the parts up, but there are rubber bits nearby that concern me a bit. Has anybody had any experience with this:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/fuel-transfer-pumps-and-lubrication-equipment/grease-and-lubrication-equipment/grease-joint-cleaner_403100E.html?afc=ShoppingSite&des=Affiliate-ShopWindow&afc=Affiliates&des=Affiliate_Window-_-Appended%20Link-_-AW-64243&awc=1498_1287411116_87b6f70cb3854c45f64145243908356f

It seems to be just the thing I need...

Too much heat will soften the spring that operates the dirt exclusion ball bearing, and the greaser will be open to all foreign bodies.

You might have bronze bushes that have turned in the housing, and the lube hole drilled through it no longer lines up with the greaser. Little can be done apart from stripping down.

Some of my greasing points (on UJs and elsewhere) don't take any grease regardless of what I do. I know that an option is to try and heat the parts up, but there are rubber bits nearby that concern me a bit. Has anybody had any experience with this:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/fuel-transfer-pumps-and-lubrication-equipment/grease-and-lubrication-equipment/grease-joint-cleaner_403100E.html?afc=ShoppingSite&des=Affiliate-ShopWindow&afc=Affiliates&des=Affiliate_Window-_-Appended%20Link-_-AW-64243&awc=1498_1287411116_87b6f70cb3854c45f64145243908356f

It seems to be just the thing I need...

Have you tried just replacing the grease nipples? They're only a few pence each and can save a lot of trouble. The grease tends to dry and soldify nearest the fitting, or the ball bearing rusts solidly in place over time.

As for the tool that clears grease paths. It'll only give so much pressure probably not a lot more than a decent grease gun. Plus the dirt and contaminants are only going one way! Into the joint you are trying to lubricate and protect. Don't see the point myself. If a grease gun with new nipple doesn't clear a lubrication way I recommend a strip down and assess / clean out with detergent / solvent. If you've had a problem for some time, chances are damage has already been occuring to the joint. You can clean out and examine for wear at the same time.

Reckon you're gonna end up stripping it down. If grease won't go in theres got to be some sort of obstruction, which is going to be foriegn to the joint, so the best thing is to get it out and you're not going to do that by forcing grease through.

I've just been taking the joint on the back axle of my scammell apart that allows the wheels to oscillate up and down, you would not believe how hard the grease / mud mixture in there was, nothing would have penetrated it.

To my mind its always best in instances like this to strip it down, give all bits a good clean in some decent degreaser and put back together with fresh grease.

Hope you sort it out ok, Richard

How much heat do you all use??? Grease will melt LONG before you get anywhere near the annealing temps for brass or spring steel.

I would also look at your grease gun... a grease gun has the ability to produce several hundred psi (many over 1000psi) to get that grease to move. Is your grease pump in good working order?

Easiest is simply replace the nipple. But unless the grease has sat for a long time or been exposed to high temps it should not clog a passage.

try taking grease nipple out does grease go thru it when connected to grease gun if does nothing wrong with nipple, one thing u can do with a worn nipple is put a rag over nipple then gun on top of that this can help to tighten the seal get a decent gun 7 000 psi one if u can i dont see any thing wrong with leaving a hairdryer on joint for ten mins worth a go might get grease moving try spraying degreaser into nipple hole as long as u purge with fresh grease a couple of times will be better than what was in it before , if all else fails strip down time:D wanner grease guns swiss made v good secondhand ones on ebay for not a lot od money

Edited by griff66

Hi. I used to work in the agricultural trade. Had loads of problems with grease nipples over the years. We had a nipple thread 'checker' ( wish I had kept it when buisness folded) Be very carefull if replacing a nipple as some threads looked the same but were'nt. Could end up damaging a very expensive part. More of a problem on older machinery.

Just a thought.

Andy.