Overheating 432

Diesel demon

I know its a real bone question but why has it suddenly started to overheat like a good un?

All the fluid levels are OK

Ive opened the front access hatch to look for leaking water and there doesn't seem to be any more sludge in the well than normal.

The engine temp is off scale after about 2 miles, steam pouring from the rad and a strong smell of burning all round.

I suspect a blockage somewhere, is there a normal place or procedure to find the cause :-(

Overheating within two miles. I wouldn't have thought all the coolant would be hot in that time. Is the waterpump turning, belts tight etc? Then check thermostat as Richard says.

I have seen an what appeared to be a good water pump not working because all the fins on the impeller had corroded away. One to consider.

Contam !!

I was on my way back from filling with Contam when it all started to go tits up

It was half full of red now it seems to be mostly petrol and red..:cry:

When it boiled up first time I sat it for ages until I thought it was cool enough to kick the rad cap off...below is the result of what was left in the rad gushing upwards at 100mph and hitting me in the stomach and sending me over the top of the 43 !

The camera is playing tricks...I dont actualy look that fat

432 burns 007.jpg

Ahhh.....nasty. :shake:

Many years ago I was out on test from the Workshops, with a Ferret, as commander. We pulled up in a lay-by to check the vehicle, and I noticed steam coming under the engine cover, lifted the cover to have the cap blow off, with boiling coolant all up my bare arm. The cover was just holding the cap in place. What was an enjoyable run out, turned out to be bloody painful.

Ahhh.....nasty. :shake:

Many years ago I was out on test from the Workshops, with a Ferret, as commander. We pulled up in a lay-by to check the vehicle, and I noticed steam coming under the engine cover, lifted the cover to have the cap blow off, with boiling coolant all up my bare arm. The cover was just holding the cap in place. What was an enjoyable run out, turned out to be bloody painful.

I was in my Saracen with no 1 son driving with the front hatch open when steam was seen from the bonnet. We stopped and I opened the cover and just touched the cap which blew straight off, up into the air. Coolant also went up in a solid green stream, gently arcing backwards, straight into the open hatch, landing on no1 son's family jewels. My, my, did he squeal!! Rotten git blamed me for it!!!

Right...we had a good shufty under the bonnet today

The inside fan motor was missing two retaining screws so the motor was on the squiff and the fan wouldn't kick in properly..sorted

Checked the fan motor oil resevoir and it was bone dry, I put that down to the overheat the other day...topped it up.

Took it for a 3 mile test drive and the cooling system was spot on, however, there was still plumes of burning smoke billowing from the louvres.

On return the internal panels were removed and the fan motor oil dipped...no oil !

The oil is spilling out inside so the pack has to come out again :-(

Decisions decisions...new pack it is then