cromtilda 2

eddy8men

hi fella's

i came across this pic while searching for cromwell info, it's such a strange looking tank i thought i'd put it on the forum. it looks daft but when you think about it it would probably have been a good way to utilise the well armoured but under gunned matilda's. anyone got any ideas of it's origin.

click this link http://commi.narod.ru/abt/b/a12_12.jpg

eddy

Hi Eddy nothing unique sadly -it was a British attempt to get a 75mm gun into a matilda- was overloaded but really just too late.

Had they been more sensible -(the old boy network probably was a great problem in British tank development in WW2- probably still has an effect even today) mounting a Mk4 turret from a Churchill would have been better- the Matilda could have taken it without too much difficulty as the turret ring diameter was so close fitting surplus Churchill 2 2pdr turrets was considered,

Steve

You're aware of the old building rule -measure twice - cut once- well that could be applied to British tank production -keep trying and eventually you'll get it right. There were good designers who were ham strung by their superiors -for example the A30 Challenger -which is little more than a Cromwell with a turret supporting lump plonked on top -was the responsiblity of a bloke called Rothbottom from Rolls Royce -it is faily obvious from his autobiography that what qualified him to lead the development was his education at a private school rather than any engineering ability or training- but never mind.

Steve

Oh and the chap at Rolls Royce was Robotham......

Now there is a name that brings back memories, Mr. Robotham was one of the customers of the company I worked for in the Sixties. He had a farm nearby and I recollect going out there, to attend to a combine with a broken crankshaft. In one of the sheds were a number of very large Rolls Royce engines, at that time, I did not know his background, but only wish I knew then. He was actually Chief Engineer at RR Derby before the war and was instrumental in adapting / converting the Merlin for tank use, as well as being involved in design work of the Cromwell.

Now there is a name that brings back memories, Mr. Robotham was one of the customers of the company I worked for in the Sixties. He had a farm nearby and I recollect going out there, to attend to a combine with a broken crankshaft. In one of the sheds were a number of very large Rolls Royce engines, at that time, I did not know his background, but only wish I knew then. He was actually Chief Engineer at RR Derby before the war and was instrumental in adapting / converting the Merlin for tank use, as well as being involved in design work of the Cromwell.

And Ithink he was involved somewhere in the history of the RR "B" series engines.