New Book - FRITUUR ZORRO - MVs in postwar civvy use

N.O.S.

Just received my copy of Frituur Zorro (which turns out to be an Austin K2 converted into a Begian mobile chippy!).

This is a wonderful collection of photographs of military trucks seen in civvy use throughout Belgium, Holland and France post WW2. The images show vehicles just hanging around on street corners, or construction yards, scrapyards or garages.

Primarily a photographic resource, each image is captioned in English. About 70% of the images are of American types, the rest being British and Commonwealth vehicles.

www.frituurzorro.nl

gets you to where you need to be! The two authors are to be congratulated on the excellent quality and consistency of images (in a very slightly sepia tone).

They started snapping trucks in 1969 and travelled widely in Europe throughout the 1970's seeking out any remaining WW2 trucks - this adds up to a great record of how these vehicles were utilised post war in mainland Europe. The photo of a French garage owner standing proudly by his German Sd.Kfz.8 converted to a mobile crane is lovely!

A second book is in preparation which will cover German and Italian types as well as more British vehicles.

If only more enthusiasts would go to the trouble and expense to share their own resources by publishing books of this quality! Oh for a similar book showing vehicles in post war Britain.....

Edited by N.O.S.

We take the liberty to inform you about a Dutch photobook we have published, dealing with the second use of WW II softskin vehicles in the seventies and eighties of the 20th century. In these decades we photographed Morris Commercials, Austins, Bedfords, GMC's, Autocars, Pacifics and more (about 30 different makes) in civilian use in Belgium, the south of the Netherlands and Northern France. 250 hi-quality photos inside. You can find all about on this website.

http://www.frituurzorro.nl

boek.jpg

Edited by theo barten

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy at the weekend and have to totally agree with N.O.S.

The authors are to be congratulated - to have the vision of knowing that what they commonly saw in the 60's and 70's will one day be obsolete.

It is also a great stepping stone between war time pictures to todays hobby.

• 2 months later...

What a brilliant book this is. I had it Christmas day and have hardly put it down since then!

It gives a great insight into what life was like during that period with so many vehicles from the war still around at that time in different roles.

There is more to come as well with the second book on its way soon!

Got a copy for Christmas, and already I've been told off for spending too much time reading it!

A brilliant book, and I'm looking forward to seeing the second one