Power Tool Socket (FV430 series)

I had the tools with my abbott, dril, big and small Kango, nut gun but never used them, i belive they were 415volt? something to do with swapping a plug over on the control box or something up the voltage...

but hey it was a few years back so cant be sure on voltage..... :undecided:

Thanks for the replies.

FLUF, that rings a bell, I vaguely remember something about 'Parralleling' up the pack alternators by changing a link over. There's a Power Tool Unit on a wiring diagram I've seen somewhere.

On a similar note, does anyone know of a 24V compressor made by anyone? That I would find useful!

Cheers,

Chas.

Safariswing, thanks for the link to Clive's excellent article.

FLUFF, any idea why 2 Kangos and a drill were part of the Abbot's kit?

I understand the 'nut wrench'(?), with recuperators, gun balance springs etc. to be undone, but why Kango hammers, and a drill?

Chas. (Intrigued!)

I'm away from home so can't check the manuals, but I'm pretty sure it was an AC supply of some sort from a transformer off the rear alternator. They were taken out as a modification quite early on, probably because they weren't very safe! The modification removed the transformer but left the wiring and socket in place. Some early FV439s with AC generators (Onans?) used the socket as an external 240V connection with an RCD panel near the BV plug bracket on the right hand side of the door frame.

Andy

Andy, You've got some manuals, haven't you!

Our, later, 439, with Plessey, diesel, 28V DC gennies, doesn't appear to have a BV plug by the back door (@ least, we haven't found it yet) There's nowhere to put the BV near there!

We've been told that the BV in ours, lived up front, near the driver. (In the 'YoYos', I expected the BV to be steaming whenever we stopped, so a brew was ALWAYS an option!)

I want something to use the nearly 100A, 24V that the gennies make. A compressor is way up the list, a 'fridge tray' for the beers is obviously @ the top, anyone got any other suggestions?

A 'Gold Star' (Not the bike!) for the best idea!

Cheers,

Chas.

Has anybody ever seen a power tool used from this socket? What sort of tools were used?

It Is 24Volts, isn't it?

Thanks

Chas.

Chas,

There were portable gen sets in the army for operating these same power tools, in 70/80's, commonly known as "high cycles". Would have been used by Combat Engineers I would think. They were 208 volts at 400 Hz, hence the nickname.

To use the tools on a 432, the paralleling link is broken by disconnecting the harness from Socket 1 on the Distribution Link Box and connecting the mating harness from the Power Tool Unit to Socket 1. This makes the two alternators operate two different systems. The front alternator operates the power tool circuit and rear alternator operates the vehicle circuit.

Edited by Richard Farrant
rectified mistake regarding alternator

Having had a chance to get home and read the manuals, Richard is correct, the socket provides up to 12kVA at 208V 400Hz from the front alternator after swapping the No. 1 plug in the distribution link box.

The link box cable was removed by General Instruction No. 5 for Reason Code 1 - to improve safety. The stated intention was that the power tool transformer, other associated cabling and the output socket would removed at the next base overhaul. That's odd, because I think that every FV430 I've seen has the output socket still in place to the right of the rear door. I don't know if I've still got the link box cable or transformer in my FV432, I'll have to look next time I visit.

The Operating Information for Radio Relay Installation in FV439 says that mains connection to the RRI(T) is through the import mains socket (power tool socket) located at the rear RH side of the door. So if you've got an RRI(T) FV439 your power tool socket may not be quite what it seems!

Andy