Disc Brake resurfacing

fesm_ndt

Question

Curious if anyone has heard of any company that re-surfaces disc brakes?

When I say re-surface I am not talking skimming I am talking about putting a layer of weld on the increase the thickness of the original disc then machined flat?

I have seen metal spray, weld overlays and other more fancy stuff in my line of work so I cannot see why it can't be done. Just haven't found a link to it.

I have to confess, having said that coating discs could be dangerous that we used to manufacture aluminum rear brake drums for classic cars with plasma sprayed friction linings and although expensive compared to our competitors who cast steel rings in,ours were pretty reliable and very light.

Too much heat could cause delamination so we only recommended them for the rear. One benefit of the plasma spray was being able to adjust the powder mix to put plenty of copper in and achieve very good heat transfer without lowering friction levels to much

Aluminum? Don't those very high spec Audi estates have some type of exotic material discs? I remember hearing ceramic but they may have been only the pads.

Aircraft discs are similar to a clutch pack out of an auto gearbox i.e. all thin discs stacked which get compressed for breaking

If I owned a nice bling bling car with shiny wheels I'd want the 'dustless' pads.

Aluminum? Don't those very high spec Audi estates have some type of exotic material discs? I remember hearing ceramic but they may have been only the pads.

If my memroy serves me correctly the Loyus Elise had ceramic discs and standard pads on the production models.

The prototype hay have had fully ceramic brakes. I also believe they took a preproduction one to the Alps to do some testing.

Ceramic brakes (pads and discs are rumoured not to wear out.

Mike

If my memroy serves me correctly the Loyus Elise had ceramic discs and standard pads on the production models.

The prototype hay have had fully ceramic brakes. I also believe they took a preproduction one to the Alps to do some testing.

Mike

I think they do just takes alot longer although they are very expensive so by the time they have worn out you better hope your penny jar is full.

Mike

The early Elise's used MMC, metal matrix composite which was a matrix of aluminium with ?silicon carbide? particles distributed in the matrix. Essentially an aluminium disc but one which had much better stability at elevated temperatures and due to the silicon carbide virtually wear resistant. Only machinable with diamond tooling. Dropped in favour of cast iron on later cars.

The Porsche/Audi ceramic disc is carbon fibre matrix with silicon carbide particles. That is said to be almost immune to wearing but I gather Porsche have had multiple warranty battles with customers whose brakes have worn out prematurely. At £5k a corner you can understand why customers might be a bit uppity. The manufacturer of the material is SGL

http://www.sglgroup.com/cms/international/products/product-groups/bd/carbon-ceramic-brake-disks/index.html?__locale=en