432 Roof Brackets/Mounts

Sidewinder

Spending a bit of time today starting to tidy up the 432, I was up on the roof and started to wonder what all the various brackets/mounts/studs would have been used for and what equipment they would have secured. All the aerials and antenna mounts are pretty self explanitory. But what about the others?

Also anyone have any ideas what these "homemade" triangular brackets would have been used for? I've taken them off now, but theres also evidence of something being cut off the top of the front glacis plate where the wading screen would bolt on. Whatever it was it was on the same side as the brackets just to the left of the lifting eye.

Cheers,James

FV432-5.jpg

You're missing the outer latches and their brackets for the mortar hatch, for starters. That's the group of four studs on the hatch centreline each side. Sometimes they get taken off when roof bins are fitted, but I can't see any sign of the roof bin mountings.

Andy

Andy, yeah already know about the mortar catch and its is one of the many things on my shopping list.

I was thinking more about all the little bits and bobs, theres a few along the rear of the roof and down the drivers side... probably too small to pick out in my pic. Possible mounts for spare track links/spades/picks/tools? I know every vehicle was probably all different depending on its roll and who crewed it but there must have been some standard(ish) roof mounted items?

I know what you mean, mine is dotted with odd brackets and studs and the remains of yet more previous ones. Some brackets have spring clips so were presumably designed to hold tools of some description, for example I think there's supposed to be a "prodder" to release the mortar hatch latches which should be clipped to the rear end of the roof. Brackets on the left side above the exhaust pipe may be for the Penthouse tent kit.

Andy