Computer help!

rambo1969

I had a problem with my desktop, in very simple terms it got a strop on and went do lally!

I managed to start it in safe mode and did a system restore which sorted it out, however it was still not quite right.

I then moved into a new house and restored it to factory settings.

I plugged my t mobile dongel into it and its very very slow. When I use the same dongel in my netbook it works perfect.

A guy at work suggested that because the the netbook is new it probably has a better proccesser.

Any suggestions?

I'd be surprised if it's anything to do with the processor as running a 3G dongle is hardly an onerous task. A silly question - does the dongle connect at the same speed on the desktop and netbook? It's possible that the desktop is positioned so that it can't get a decent 3G signal and defaults to GRPS, which is about the same speed as an old-fashioned dialup modem.

Andy

What actually is slow - the PC itself or just the internet????

If the internet it's the dongle, proably plugged into a USB 1.0 port when it was designed for a 2.0 high speed (Hah!!) port.

If it's the PC then something is running in background taking up system resources. Open the task manager and have a look at whats running.