So Who DID WIN the BATTLE of BRITAIN ????????????

LeeEnfield

Item on the news tonight,....................."the Royal Navy were responsible for the non invasion, by the German Army, in 1940, due to it's formidable naval force............." :? :?

Interesting viewpoint, I guess;

Correct me, (please, :-))if I'm wrong, but were'nt their main ships anchored off Scapa Flow, at the time ??

Now, I'm certainly NOT saying that the Navy did nothing during britains epic period, but, to my mind, they DID NOT stop the invasion.

Its a shame that 'so called', historians, sitting in safe and peaceful surroundings, that ALL members of the Forces, and civillians, fought and in many case's, died, to allow such free speech and thinking, can't 'engage briain, before putting mouth into gear'.......

Any one, any thoughts ??

Andy

It has been 'proved' in computerised reconstructions that had there been an invasion it would have eventually been defeated at one of the little known stop lines prepared for the purpose, however it is debateable whether a landing would have been possible. Obviously the Navy would have strained every sinew to sink the barges which were to be used and although they would probably have lost considerable no's of ships to the GAF it seems likely that they would have decimated the landing fleet.

The barges were not really suitable for purpose and it is very unlikely that they would have been able to support a landing force with supplies for any length of time.

This is all supposition of course and without taking into account the weather which would almost certainly have exacerbated the problems which faced the Germans.

I remember watching a documentary some years ago which said that Hitler never really had faith in an invasion because he knew they would not get past the Navy. A quick scan on the net reveals a lot of sites saying that a lot of the German heirachy were of the same mind, making this theory old news. It seems to me that someone just wanted their name in the paper and released a controversialy worded theory. Isn't it nice to know that some people have no compunction when it comes to denigrating the young people who died to keep our freedoms.

Don't forget a Navy without strong airsupport is very vulnerable.

In the Pacific 2 battleships (Prince of Wales and Repulse) were defeated by the Japanese Airforce.

If the Germans had defeated the RAF as planned the Luftwaffe would have attacked any Batlleship. Off course it would have been very difficult but with help of every U-boat available the Royal Navy may have been destroyed or at least heavily mauled...

I don't think the Navy alone could have stopped an invasion.

Then the German invasion could have begun, if they would win the landbattle is another story.